Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I accidently dropped my computer, but only a few inches (3-4)

Customer Question

I accidently dropped my computer, but only a few inches (3-4) and now it won't get past the grey screen with the loading loading rotating in circles for long periods of time.

Please HELP!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
The hard drive or another component may be damaged. Hold the power button for about 10 seconds then start it up and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. If it starts up OK restart the normal way. Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did the instructions, and it now is doing the same thing as before. grey screen with the apple logo and the spinning wheel.

fyi, the chime comes on, the fan is also running like its processing a big command (loud sound)

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Do you have the system disk for the current operating system that is installed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

unfortunately no, I've been looking for that the past little while now and can't find it.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Then I can only suggest you try that again, make sure it is completely off before you start it up again. We really need the disk to determine if it can boot from that. It would give us more info. Do you know the system version?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the macbook pro was bought in 2008, but I have kept it up to date with system updates. That being said, I have read that I need the disc with this particular model. Tried the shift command again, nothing different.

Am i able to buy the disc again from somewhere?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes but do you know if it was Snow Leopard 10.6 or Lion 10.7 or above 10.8?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't be 100% sure whether it is or not.

I believe it came with leopard back in 2008

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that looks expensive. do you think it would be worth it to take it to an apple store and have them fix it?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that is an option, but you may find it cheaper on eBay.