Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

I live in a neighborhood with lots of wireless. My wireless

I live in a neighborhood with lots of wireless. My wireless is called fossilfool. It also has fossilfool-guest, but that is password XXXXX and I never use it. How can I ban it from the list? My computer often defaults to it, even after I've chosen fossilfool. Thanks.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

To prevent your computer from connecting to the wrong network, you will need to remove it from your network history. To do this, click on the apple logo, choose system preferences. Choose Network. Then click on the Advance button at the bottom right corner. In the Wifi tab, you will see a list of all the networks your computer has connected to, find fossilfool-guest and remove it from the list

Appleologist :

Then drag fossilfool to the top of the list

Appleologist :

And press ok

Customer:

Thanks. It still appears in the wireless list. How do I turn it off?

Appleologist :

Select it and then select the minus sign

Appleologist :

Then drag your main network to the top of the list. That way your computer will see your network first

Customer:

I meant to say that it still appears in the list at the top taskbar next to the volume icon.

Appleologist :

Oh Im sorry, you will need to disable guest network on your router. Do you remember setting it up?

Customer:

no

Appleologist :

Who is your service provider and what router are you using?

Customer:

cisco E1000. Provider is Monkeybrains. (local to SF)

Appleologist :

Is fossilfooll password XXXXX too?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

but it doesn't take me to a Cisco page

Appleologist :

Can you search your applications folder for Cisco connection application

Customer:

don't have one

Appleologist :

Ok, to disable it you will need to go to you router configuration page. I am looking up the correct address for your router. Give me a sec

Appleologist :

Ok, I have it. Can you click on this link and tell me what comes up 192.168.1.1

Customer:

A username and password XXXXX being requested by http://192.168.1.1. The site says: "E1000"

Appleologist :

I assume you don't remember your password. If not, you will need to reset your router and then set it up again

Appleologist :

Try some username and passwords, if that does not work, no worries. Let me know and I will walk you through the rest process

Appleologist :

By default the password XXXXX be admin with no username

Customer:

The default and my usual didn't work

Appleologist :

Ok so lets rest your router. Before we do that, on the back or bottom of your router, locate the SSID and web key

Customer:

Is this going to work? I don't have a hard line handy.

Appleologist :

Yes it is going to work. We will be disconnected but we will be re-connected once you enter your network password XXXXX Before we do that, you can try to log into your router settings again using the link provided. Just type in admin as the password XXXXX username blank. If you are still unable to log in, take note of your SSID and web key password XXXXX your router because you will need it to log back in.

Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
Were you able to get back into your router? My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you further if you need it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got too busy to continue with this process but was satisfied by the help from Appleologist.