Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

My iphoto will not open-- just the circle and no pics coming

My iphoto will not open-- just the circle and no pics coming up-- help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

The first step in this troubleshooting process is to rebuild your library's database. To do this, quit iphoto. Then press and hold Command+Option+Shift while launching iphoto.

Customer:

did that, still get the circle

Customer:

how long should it take?

Appleologist :

When you held down the keys, did you get a dialogue box?

Customer:

no

Appleologist :

Then you did not do it correctly. Please try it again. Make sure iphoto is closed. Press and hold all 3 keys at the same time and then open iphoto while the keys are pressed. Command+Option+Shift

Customer:

just got the dialogue box

Appleologist :

Ok, choose repair

Customer:

done, now circle

Appleologist :

Ok, Next we will try to delete iphoto's plist. This will not delete any photos. Close iphoto. And open your finder window. (click on the happy face icon) At the top menu, choose Go

Customer:

got it what do i go to?

Appleologist :

From the Go menu, choose Go to folder and paste ~/Library

Customer:

done

Appleologist :

Ok within the library folder, locate the preference folder. Within the preference folder, locate and delete com.apple.iPhoto.plist

Customer:

send it to the trash?

Appleologist :

Yes and then try to re-open iphoto

Customer:

still just the circle

Appleologist :

Ok , we are going to try 2 other troubleshooting tips before we will need to create a new library, it looks like this one may be corrupt. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose software updates. Are there any updates available?

Customer:

yes should i do them?

Appleologist :

Which ones are listed?

Customer:

macbook pro firmware, java and i tunes

Appleologist :

That will not resolve your issue. You should install those at a later times. When you pressed the 3 key combination, did you choose repair permissions or repair database

Customer:

database

Appleologist :

Ok, do it again. This time choose repair permissions. If that does not work, we will need to create a new library. You will need to re-organize your photos and albums

Customer:

okay! it told me it was examining my library and then went back to the circle

Appleologist :

Ok, it looks like we will need to create a new one. How many photos do you have?

Customer:

good question? less than1500

Appleologist :

Ok, it won't be so bad when you need to re-organize your albums...... I hope :) Ok quit iphoto again. Press and hold down the option key while opening iphoto

Appleologist :

Choose create new and name it iPhotoNew

Customer:

okay done

Appleologist :

Ok now open finder again and choose Picture in your left column

Customer:

which one is picture-- images?

Appleologist :

No, do you see your home folder or account name in the left column?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

got it

Appleologist :

Ok, now within your picture folder, located iphoto libray.

Customer:

got it

Appleologist :

You should see both libraries

Customer:

yep

Appleologist :

Right click on the old library and choose show package contents

Customer:

how do you get it to show package contents?

Customer:

foudn it

Customer:

found it

Appleologist :

Ok within package contents, at the bottom do you see a masters folder or original folder?

Customer:

yes masters

Appleologist :

Ok drag the entire masters folder into the blank iphoto library that we just created

Appleologist :

All of your photos will re-import

Customer:

going!

Customer:

IS that it???

Appleologist :

Yes it is. Would you like me to stick around until it is done?

Customer:

sure!

Appleologist :

Great. As soon as it is done importing close iphoto and re-open it. It should open without any issues. (Fingers crossed)

Customer:

might be a little bit-2300!! remaining

Customer:

ack!

Appleologist :

Ha ha its ok

Customer:

only 840 left

Appleologist :

almost there

Appleologist :

that was pretty fast

Customer:

awesome! THANK YOU! Done!

Appleologist :

you are very welcome!

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.