Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a Mac iBook G4 that came installed with OS X and I desperately

I have a Mac iBook G4 that came installed with OS X and I desperately need to upgrade to at least 10.4.11 so I can install my new Cisco router's software. How can I perform the upgrade.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

What version of Mac OS X are you using now ?

Also, could you please tell me the hardware specs of your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Let me check that for you right quick. I am powering up the laptop (iMac G4) right now. One minute please.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Take your time..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mac OS X, version 10.4.11

Processor: 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4

Memory: 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

My problem is I just bought a Cisco router (N600) and the installation disk is not supported by my mac.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm confused with your question. You said you want to upgrade to 10.4.11 in your original question, but from your last info, you are already on 10.4.11. I guess you want upgrade to 10.5 or later

I just checked the requirements for the router and it says it is supported only on Mac OS X 10.5 or later. Fortunately, your Mac can handle the Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, NOT 10.6 Snow Leopard or later. To perform the upgrade, you have to buy the Mac OS X Installation discs. You can buy 10.5 Leopard RETAIL discs from eBay.com and install it on your Mac. See here : http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=10.5+leopard&_sacat=0&_from=R40

When you get the discs, just put it on your Mac and follow the onscreen instructions to upgrade.

You don't need the discs to setup the router. Although the easiest way to setup is with the discs, You can manually setup the router from your internet browser by connecting with a ethernet cable. Download this guide : http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/EA2700-3500-4500_UG.pdf

See the part where it says "How to manually set up your router". Let me know if you have any questions.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Let me try this. Nothing comes up, however, when I click the link for the download instructions. Suggestions?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That is a PDF file. Right Click (Control + click) on the link and select Save (or Save Link as) and then save it. The PDF will be downloaded. Open the downloaded file and can you read it ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The best option is upgrade your Mac OS X to 10.5 Leopard. There are hundreds of features in 10.5 Leopard that 10.4 Tiget doesn't have. I'd recommend to upgrade your OS X. It is worth it.

Best Regards,

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,