David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional

On a mac, how can I delete an item in print queue when it says

On a mac, how can I delete an item in print queue when it says I cannot delete because the item has been cancelled but it is still stuck in the queue?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Reset the print queue can be done by resetting the printing system completely.

It sometimes resorts to this if the queue becomes corrupted.

The steps to reset the printing system are not as bad as they sound, the kernel extensions remain, so you only need to add the printer again afterward.

First close any open applications. Reset the printing system by opening System Preferences - Print & Fax. Then unlock the padlock if it is locked, it is in the bottom left. Then right click in the list of printers on the left, in a blank part of it, and click 'Reset Printing System'.

Enter your password.

At this point restart your Mac. Then open System Preferences - Print & Fax, and add your printer again using the plus '+' in the bottom left.

Test your printing from whichever application you were using, and let me know the results.