Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

I have a new i-MAC and new LACIE. The LACIE and TIME MACHINE

I have a new i-MAC and new LACIE. The LACIE and TIME MACHINE seem connected right, but backups suddenly stop. I can see a (10:22 a.m. today) LACIE listing for the HD, but can't access March 2 files under HD or anywhere else.

Please advise.

John R. Murphy [email protected]

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information. When you say you can not access March 2nd files, do you get an error message? Are they visible?

Appleologist :

?

Appleologist :

Are you still with me?

Appleologist :

Try to quit your browser and re-open it

Customer:

last message received was at 11:20. message that you are initializing was not implemented

Appleologist :

Great! I see you made it back. I just closed and refunded the $80 charge

Appleologist :

Ok lets begin troubleshooting your issue

Appleologist :

Is your LACIE still connected?

Customer:

yes

Appleologist :

So I can better understand your issue, you mentioned you have a new iMac, are you trying to migrate information from a time machine backup?

Customer:

that was done by MAC STORE when I bought iMAC and LACIE in January. Lacie did back up for a time, but seems to have stopped. Previoius MACBOOK and LACIE both crashed and data was retrieved and reloaded into iMAC and new LACIE.

Appleologist :

Ok I understand now. Lets first scan your LACIE drive to see if it is ok. When backups stop occurring, it could either be that your drive is full,there may be an error with the drive or time machine settings. Click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Customer:

drive is not full. it is a new D2-quadra with twice the capacity of my previous lacie. have opened magnifying glass and have list of items under disk utility; cannot keep this window and spotlight open at same time

Appleologist :

You can float back and fourth between screens. Since your LACIE is new, it is most likely going to be a time machine setting error. You can actually disregard disk utility. Instead, open up time machine. To do this. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner, choose system preferences and then choose Time machine" Under systems

Appleologist :

You can float back and fourth between the screens so you can see our chat

Customer:

new information: I have been accessing my backup by clicking on TIME MACHINE. I just found a "NEW LACIE" icon - when I click on it I get list of backups through this morning. So Lacie is backing up. Is my problem my trying to see backup by starting with TIME MACHINE?

Appleologist :

You should always be able to see your backups by choosing your LACIE drive in the finder window. They will all be in Backups.backupdb folder

Customer:

thank you. so what is the purpose of TIME MACHINE?

Appleologist :

Time machine is the application that backups up your entire computer. So when you have a hard drive failure or a new machine, time machine is used to restore the entire image of the computer so your computer looks exactly how it did. When you need to retrieve individual files, you can access your data directly from you LACIE drive from the finder menu. I hope that makes sense and is not too confusing :)

Customer:

No, that's clear. Is the TIME MACHINE restoration function automatic when needed? Do I have to activate it if I see lost data? What should I be doing with T/M on a daily basis?

Appleologist :

Whats great about time machine is the maintenance. All you need to do is make sure it is turned on and your drive is connected. You can always check by going into system preferences and clicking on time machine. In the left column is the on and off button. When it is on, it will perform automatic backups daily and will delete old backups with time. Whenever you need to restore your data, you can simply connected your LACIE (if it is not already connected) and use a program that comes with your mac called Migration assistant. If it is a new mac or if you decided to perform a clean install, it actually will ask you if you wish to restore from a time machine backup

Customer:

Thanks. I guess I had a mental lapse about link between T/M and LACIE. Thanks for clarifying. Seems I should go to the Mountain Lion manual and HELP windows for both elements as next step.

Appleologist :

Well to make it a little easier, before time machine, users had to manually drag and drop their files onto their external hardrives. Some users missed important data to transfer. With time machine, it backs up everything and places it onto your LACIE drive for you. So you do not have to do a thing except to check on your backups here and there

Customer:

Got it. I think I have what I needed.

Customer:

Can you confirm that this account is closed and this service will be billed as $58?

Appleologist :

That is confirmed. I already closed the other charge. I am not sure why you were not able to see my response. I am glad that was resolved. Since you were unable to see my response, you ended up asking another question which was billed as an asked question. Although your intensions were to just get back to me, the system still saw it as an asked question. So I closed out the $80 question and reported it as a duplicate so You will only be charged $58 for this chat only

Customer:

Appreciate your help on all counts. John