Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  17+ years of IT support
61870206

I have bought an Iphone 5 which seems to be working perfectly.

Customer Question

I have bought an Iphone 5 which seems to be working perfectly. However when I connect it to my MAC computer it doesnt sinc (ITunes doesnt even recognize i've connected it). I have ITunes 11.0.2 and Mac OS X 10.6.8... can you advise what i shld do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Toby K. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. I would like for you to try the following:

1. Reconnect your iPhone to your Mac using a different USB port.
2. I would then like for you to perform a reset of your iPhone. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

3. If iTunes does not recognize your phone afterwards, reboot your Mac by going to Apple > Restart.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns. If you have no additional questions please remember to rate/accept my service before exiting the site so I can be credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A pop-up window came up saying that my USB ports have been disabled as another piece of hardware (assume iphone) is drawing to much energy (??). ITunes still not recognizing....

Expert:  Toby K. replied 3 years ago.
Unplug the cable from the phone and reinsert. Sometimes I would need to flip it over to not get that error. Are you using the cable that came with your phone? I was having a similar issue, but it was with an off brand cable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am using the cable that came with the phone. Have connected IPad in the meantime which is syncronizing without issues... Will have it finishing to syncro and then switch IPhone again.

Expert:  Toby K. replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like it's a problem with the cable. Did you understand what I meant about flipping it over? I would disconnect from the phone, flip over the gold contacts, and reinsert into the phone.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have repeated the whole procedure including resetting the phone and flipping the cable... but same result.... views?

Expert:  Toby K. replied 3 years ago.
Do you have another computer you can try plugging your phone in at? I'm pretty sure that is your only new digital cable, as well. When you plug it in, you don't even see the charging sign, right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have tried to plug it into a 2nd computer (my wife's mac) and it doesnt work either... and yes correct the charging sign doesnt came up... but if I use the same cable to recharge the phone it works....

Expert:  Toby K. replied 3 years ago.
I'm 99% sure the cable is defective. I know it's not what you wanted to hear, because you want to get your phone setup. The Apple Store will swap it out for you, but I'm not sure if you could go to where you bought the phone, ie, wireless carrier.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, will try to get new cable. Can I release the credit only when I've tried that and checked the phone syncs?

Expert:  Toby K. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that is perfectly fine. If you have any problems, feel free to respond back and I will respond shortly. Talk to you later!
Expert:  Toby K. replied 3 years ago.
Hi ,

I am following up on your last question. I hope my suggestions worked. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Toby