Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

i cant access imail anymore. When i recently updated the software

Customer Question

i can't access imail anymore. When i recently updated the software every time i tap on imail it goes "donk" and it won't open. Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with mail...:(

On what device are you having this problem? Mac or on your iphone/ipad/iphone?

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mac

Thank you, Eric.

Let's go to Finder\[your username]\Library\ Preferences folder and drag the "com.apple.mail.plist" file to your desktop.

Now try to open the mail.

Let's see whether this helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I drug the file to my desktop. do i click on it or on the imail app? when I click the imail app it again just went "donk" and didn't open.

Let's restart the computer and try to open the mail app
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will i lose you?

no, you can bookmark this website and get back to me.

Or save this link

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/7lq78-can-t-access-imail-anymore-when-recently-updated-software.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just restarted. same problem. when i click on the app it just bounces but won't open.

What version of mac do you use? To find this, click on the apple logo at the top left corner and then on "about this mac".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MAC OS X

I need to know what version it is - 10.6.8, 10.7, 10.8.1 etc.

When you click on the apple logo at the top left corner and then on "about this mac", you can find that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.6.8

Thank you.

Let's go to Finder\applications\utilities\disk utility

When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Once the repair is done and if there are no errors, try to open mail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says it will take ten minutes. hold tight please. thanks.

sure...take your time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

man. completed repair and still doesn't open.

:(

Let's again go to

Thank you, Eric.

Finder\[your username]\Library\ Preferences folder and drag the "com.apple.mail.plist" file to the trash

Now try to open the mail.

If that does not work, do you have the 10.6 installation discs with you

Please rate my service once we have finished troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It still does it.

do you have the 10.6 installation discs with you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have a dvd entitled "Mac OS X Install DVD" and one entitled "applications install dvd"

Please give me 5 minutes. I am checking my resources
Let's try reinstalling the mac osx.

Just insert the disc, restart your Mac and hold down the C key on your keyboard. This will boot into the disc, once it booted into disc then follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall your OS.

This will not delete any files inside it (but don't go for an erase and install)

Let me know whether this resolves your issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

now no itunes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

or pages

you can install itunes by going to

www.apple.com/itunes/download

For pages - do you have the iWork disc with you?

Anyway, are you able to open mail now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

one word responses

sorry, did you mean the mail does not open at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

been kicked out ten times

Let's try updating your mac.

Click on the apple logo at the top left corner and click on "about this mac"

let's see whether that helps.