Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

ra-614

Customer Question

For some reason, my system went offline. I didn't adjust anything, and I don't know how to reactivate it. Please give me the steps. Many thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Seashore2011 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Is the problem that your computer is no longer on the internet?

Please let me know so I can further assist.

Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How could I be talking to you if my computer is not on the internet?

You could be using another computer.

Since you just said your "system is offline" I had to make an educated guess. Many people have a laptop and a desktop to so I thought maybe your laptop was disconnected from your wireless or something like that.

Since that is not the issue I assume, can you please further explain the problem that you are having.

Thank you,
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Skype tells me the system is offline. I don't know how to reverse it. I did not change any settings. I don't touch things if they are working. I have been "offline" for a month or so, discovered it when I tried to have my usual skype session with a client. Had to use my cell phone.

I would like to offer you a remote support session where I could connect to your computer and fix this for you.

Would you like to try that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm scared to do that.

Ok no problem I can walk you though it.

Can you tell me which version of windows you are using please, is it windows xp, vista, 7 or 8? Or are you using skype for mac?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know. I have a brand new MacAir.

Ok try this for me please and let me know.

Open skype and look for where it says offline. I want you to click where it says offline and change to online.

Please view this picture below so you know where to click
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. It shows offline, I check online, but it wont go online. Just stays on offline.

Do you see File up at the top when you are in skype? If so can you click that and choose sign in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, no file.

Ok so when you open skype are you able to see your contacts? PLease let me know what you are seeing on teh screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see my contacts

OK so on the left you see your skype contacts and above that you see your name and it says offline. Is that accurate?

If so it sounds like you are signed into skype but just have your status set to offline.

When you click on offline do you receive any other choices?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I see away, do not disturb and invisible.

My apologies but I am out of ideas at the moment without being able to remote in so I will opt/out and send your question back to the other experts. You will receive an email when they are ready to help you.

Thank You
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience Chris.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Greetings,

Thank you for your question and your time today.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

AFTER YOU CLICK THE LINK BELOW, you can continue.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=fdfdc9c8-c413-45bf-af87-0066075299d5&SUPPORT=NET

Instructions for running the remote application:
- If you are using Internet Explorer, choose to RUN the application.
- If you are using Firefox or Safari, please, open the Downloads window and double click the Elsinore... application. (FIREFOX: In the top menu bar, click TOOLS > DOWNLOADS) (SAFARI: In the top menu bar, click Window > Downloads
- If you are using Google Chrome, please, click the Elsinore... button on the bottom left of your screen after it downloads.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried that. It downloaded three times. I installed a Java program, and I cannot connect with Elsinor

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Safari

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

After installing Java, you may have to run it again.

Please, follow the instructions below to solve your problem:
- Open Safari
- In the top menu bar, click Safari
- Click EMPTY CACHE (reset Safari)
- Click the Empty button
- In the top menu bar, click Safari again
- Click Reset Safari
- Reset
- Come back to this page and try the link once more.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't have an empty cache option. Do I need to reset Safari? That's a lot of change.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Yes, please, reset Safari.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am honestly not trying to be difficult, but that will erase a lot of sensitive information that I need. Do I need to completely reset it, and lose my downloads, history, autodial etc...

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You can uncheck any items that you do not want to reset (passwords, history, etc)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Wasn't sure if that was necessary for this to work. Will do so now.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay. Have reset Safari.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Very good.
Click the link again and run the remote.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not happening. I keep getting a note from apple about visiting a Java site, do I need an expensive download in order to download Elsinor, after downloading a Java program already this morning? I think I have reached the end of my patience with this stuff. all I want is for Skype to allow me to go online like it used to. Nothing changed except I suddenly went offline, and don't think the two of us should have to stand on our ears in order to get it back. It just CAN"T be that hard.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

After Java downloads, you must RUN the Java file.

1) Install Java
2) Run Elsinore.

I assumed you were installing Java when you told me that you were running it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You know, I thought I was too. Seems I missed the final step. It is downloading now, almost there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jason:

Thanks for your time. I am not comfortable letting some remote computer access the sensitive information in my computer. Nothing personal, but I can't take that chance. I'll find someone here who can help me in person.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay.

I will opt out.
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Rachel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rachel:

Thank you. I don't think anyone there thinks they can help me without coming into my computer. I am not comfortable with strangers roaming around in my sensitive data, so I will contact a local technician.

I really thought I was contacting Skype for help. I did not anticipate spending money to get help, and I am very dismayed that even with no satisfaction, my deposit will go into a credit account with you guys. I have no plans to return so did I just lose $38.00? I feel a bit "taken"by Skype.

Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I will close your question per your request and return your good faith deposit to your original funding source immediately. It may take up to 4 business days to show back up in your account depending on your credit card company.

Thank you for trying JustAnswer, I hope you will consider us again for future questions,

Rachel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello:

I just had a young friend fix my problem with Skype. I just needed to download an upgraded version. Apparently, Microsoft just purchased Skype, and they are doing upgrades. Something you guys might like to know.

Wendy Fredricks