Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

hey there Got a frozen macbook pro 2011. It was slow and now

hey there
Got a frozen macbook pro 2011. It was slow and now when restarted got frozen on the apple logo
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last one Mountnain Lion

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if it works or not. First try Disk Utility.

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn in back on and immediately hold down Option key at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu. Or restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command + R keys instead of Option key.
  • This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu
  • Select Disk Utility.
  • In Disk Utility, Repair your disk and Repair Permission

Then restart your Mac. If that didn't work, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Turn off your Mac.
  2. Turn on the computer back and immediately hold down the Command-Option-P-R keys.
  3. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  4. Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.

Let me know if that didn't work, so we continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did what you recommended- disk repair done, now repairing permissions-still on

Does it returned any errors ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still in progress but i got quite many repaired messages

Let it complete. It will take a while to complete the process. When it is finished, reset the PRAM and NVRAM too.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Finished already. Now reset the PRAM and NVRAM and starting up but still stays on the apple logo

If it still not booting after 15 minutes, we can reinstall your Mac OS X. Boot into Mac OS X Utilities screen again. This time, select Reinstall Mac OS X

Then follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall your OS X. Reinstalling Mac OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the system files with new one. Please let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I think I will reinstall as it has been almost 15 min waiting on the logo screen. Do you have any recommendation to watch after reinstalling OS?

Well, After reinstalling, do all updates from Apple > Software Update. Also, make sure your Mac is connected to high speed internet as your Mac will download the installation files from Apple's server.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again! Just reinstalled the OS but now frozen at the end of the installation-says about 0 seconds left....

Hi there, How long have been showing that ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well the download went pretty much as long as it showed but since it stopped it has been like 20 min now

Does it got stuck while downloading or while installing OS X ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think it is says install OS X on the top of the window and it just got stuck looks like the blue line is almost full but just doesnt wanna continiue.

Should I download again

No, not yet. Wait some more time. Sometimes it will take time to finish it. Wait some more time (max of 30 minutes) and if it still not responding, just restart your Mac normally. Please let me know how it goes..

Forgot to ask, do you have the backup of your files ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hmm, I think I dont have back up but do you think if I just restart manually it will work?

Yes, if it is installed properly. Wait few more minutes before restarting the Mac. If it still not working after restart, then boot into Mac OS X Utilities again and click Reinstall Mac OS X again. Reinstallation is supposed to overwrite the existing system files with new one. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will try now.thanks

Good Luck :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi there. Unfortunately even I installed the OS x again I get the same problem- it got frozen at the end of the installation.

Do you have any other ideas? This laptop is barely 2 years old and already

had major problems with it. What other brand do you recommend in terms

of quality and lasting long

Hi there, Please accept my apologies for the delayed response. It seems like the partition of your hard drive was corrupted. We will have to repair the hard drive with a third party application named Disk Warrior (very costly) or we can erase the hard drive and recreate the partition and then install a fresh OS X. But this will erase everything from your Mac. Is that OK for you ? Please let me know what you think. If you have another Mac, then we can try to recover your data first

IMO Apple is really perfect. You already have a Powerful computer. No need to look for others. Just fix your Mac and no need to buy new one. I've had many Macs and never had any problem.

Sony Vaio series and Lenovo are also good brands.

I'd still stay with Mac as on OS X, I don't have to worry about any Viruses that PC have and also it is simple to use.

They are machines, we just don't know when they will crash. Believe me, Apple Macs are really the best computers out there IMO
Disk Warrior application can fix 90% of the hard drive problems and It can also recover your files from your hard drive to any external drives. It is more powerful than the OS X's inbuilt Disk Utility application. Disk Warrior can fix any problems unless it is hardware related. If you have any important files on your hard drive that you need to recover, then either you can use Disk Warrior or you can get another Mac and then recover files with it.

If you don't have any important files on it, then juts go ahead and erase the hard drive. This will recreate the partition of the hard drive and then install a fresh OS X.

Let me know what you think...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the info. I somehow managed to start the computer and it worked fine for a while but later on some apps started to freeze (like mail, skype etc.Now tryed to reboot and came to the same state of frozen on the apple logo....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can I erase the hard drive if i cant even start the computer now...

You can erase the hard drive by booting into Mac OS X Utilities. Boot into Mac OS X Utilities window, then open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column and click the Erase button. Then close Disk Utility and continue installation. Please let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have a lot of photos ano and files I need to try to save. Will try the app you suggested and if cant work will erase the HD

You can buy Disk Warrior from here :

Disk Warrior will help you to save as much data as possible from your Mac. Also, Disk Warrior will fix the hard drive's partition unless it is hardware related problem. Disk Warrior is costly, but its worth it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, could not restart for very long time ,so erased the HD and install new OS. Now working fine. Will know to back up for the next time!

Thanks for the help anyway!

I'm sorry you lost your files. Backing up is a great idea. You should backup with Time Machine application, so you can restore everything easily incase if it happens again.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Have a great day,
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ashik. Thank you for asking. Actually everything is working much better,however sometimes I still get some app frozen,or just not responsive. It is not like when I first bought the computer. Sometimes the keyboard also becomes very slow I have to wait when I type. I have to let you know,that since I have tho computer I have already changed the mother board and the trackpad due to faulty .I guess the machine I got was just somehow build not so well. Anyway,thanks for the help and my last question will be what kind of external hard drive do you recommend for a backup?I will definitely need one now!

Best regards,

Hi Alexandar, Yeah, seems like it is a hardware defect. Manufacturing defect may be ?

You can use any hard drive (USB 2.0) on your Mac. There are many good brands out there, like Lacies, Western Digital etc.

When you buy one, you probably have to reformat it for Mac. You can reformat it with Disk Utility from Applications > Utilities folder, just like you did for Internal hard drive.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Ashik. Wanted to update you on the situation.Quite puzzled here.After trying all the things you suggested and thinking that the issue might be hardware related I ran a hardware test (reboot+ option+D key)

And it showed no hardware problem. The thing is would you recommend installing again the OS ,as right now the computer is very unpredictable-sometimes working fine,but a lot of app cannot open and freeze .I also disabled the indexing of the spotlight to speed up the the system a bit.

What can you suggest at the current ?

Appreciate your help!

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure your hard drive is failing. Hardware test won't be able to check hard drive, RAM etc properly. Since it didn't return any errors, I believe you don't have any other problems with Logic Board or other components. There is no way to tell the exact problem without evaluating it manually. But I believe it is the hard drive that is causing the problem as I've seen this problem before. Your Mac will slow down if the delay increases to read and write from the hard drive or if there is any problem with RAM.

Can you boot into Disk Utility again and then try Repairing it and see if you get any errors ?

Reinstalling might not fix it as it seems like it is hardware related.

Best Regards,