Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Dear Apple tech, I have password XXXXX which I would love

Customer Question

Dear Apple tech, I have password XXXXX which I would love some help with please. Obviously I have a number of passwords for various things, but I believe I know my apple password, yet when trying to d.load an application i am being asked for my password XXXXX it is not accepting. I am not clear what password XXXXX requires from me and am finding it deeply frustrating. Please help.

martin richman
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 1 year ago.

On what device are you having the problem? your computer or on your handheld device such as iphone, ipad or ipod?

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

on my macbook pro

Thank you, Martin.

I need one more information. Since I am not sure when you are being asked for the password XXXXX

Does it ask for a password XXXXX you try to purchase something from the app store/itunes store?

Also, what version of mac do you use? To find it, you can click on the apple logo at the top left corner and then on "about this mac".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am trying to dload an update of silverlight for watching films on film 4, but this is not first time this has happened.

It is mac os x version 10.7.5. do u want serial no?

Not required now.

If it is asking for the password XXXXX you try to update silverlight, mostly it is your computer password. Have you set any password XXXXX your comupter?

For example, when you turn on the computer, you would be asked for a password XXXXX login. Have you tried that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not normally required to use a password XXXXX logging in

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not understand which pass word it is requiring. I have various mac passwords I dont seem to need to log in.

is one for mail? maybe one for internal puter stuff?

Sorry, I am just checking my resources.

Usually it is the system password.

Have you tried your mail password?

Please give me 5-10 minutes. Let me check my resources.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question. My fellow expert Vinod had to go out and he asked me to help you with your problem.

Your Mac is asking for the administrator password. That is the password XXXXX use to install apps, login to your Mac, install updates etc

You can reset the password XXXXX by logging to Mac OS X Utilities screen. Please follow the steps below to reset the password;

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn it back on and immediately hold down Option at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu or restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command + R keys
  • This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu
  • Click on the “Utilities” menu in the top and select “Terminal"
  • Type resetpassword
  • Confirm the user account and then the password XXXXX and reboot Mac OS X 10.7 as usual with your new password

Now try the new password XXXXX install Silverlight.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Ashik, thanks for your detailed instructions. i regret i dont understand a lot of your terminilogy.

what is 'option' and how do you mean 'boot'? Can you explain exactly what keys etc to press please.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Don't worry, I will explain everything and stay with you until we fix the problem.

Option is the key on your Keyboard. It is also the alt key which is next to Control key and left to Command key. See picture below;
graphic
By boot, I meant your Mac will load into the Startup screen when you hold down Option key.

What you want to do is, turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Option key on your Keyboard. Hold it down until your Mac will boot (or load) into a screen with hard disk icons. see picture below;
graphic

Select the Recovery HD from the Startup screen and press return key. This will load your Mac to Mac OS X Utilities screen. See picture below;
graphic
Please let me know how it goes
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, If you are talking to me from your Macbook Pro, first add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me after restart.

After logging into the Mac OS X Utlities window, select Utilities menu in the top and select Terminal.
graphic
Then type this command without space between reset and password: resetpassword

This will bring the Reset Password XXXXX and you can change your password XXXXX there. After changing, just restart your Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik, I am sorry to say that my computer became unusable as there were constant demands for my keychain pass which it was not accepting the words i had added.

You were definitely on the right track, but something went badly astray and i had to borrow another computer and ended up in a conversation on the phone with apple who seemed to have resolved the difficulty.

Im afraid I have to mark as not positive, as process did not allow use of computer. It all became immensely frustrating and somewhat 'Catch 22'. It would be better had we been on the phone to one another in my view.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, Nothing went bad. Your computer will ask for Keychain in some cases. That is how it is supposed to work. All you had to do is, reset the Keychain Database. I'm sure that is what they did. You should've replied back to me, so I could've fixed it in the first place. I've never heard anything from you since my last answer. I'm really sorry that we've not finished, but we were on the right track. If you replied back to me about how it goes like I asked, we could've solved it in the first place.

Rating us negatively here and in surveys you get will affect our job here. Please don't rate us bad. You don't need to rate anything if you are not satisfied.

Best Regards,