Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

How much of my 1TB removable hard drive do i need

How much of my 1TB removable hard drive do i need to back up 500gb of imac data using the time machine. Could i partition the drive to store some photos etc. and leave 800gb on the external drive

Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

Since 1,000Gb makes up 1TB hard drive, 500Gb will take up half of the space on your hard drive to backup your entire computer

Appleologist :

You do not need to partition your drive, you can just enable time machine and it will backup your entire hard drive including your photos

Appleologist :

I see you are still offline. Simply respond to the chat and I will be notified

Customer:

hi the mac is nearly full i have only 20gb left. so need to transfer stuff over to the removable drive.

Appleologist :

OK. Is time machine enabled?

Appleologist :

Or do you want to transfer over certain files?

Appleologist :

Are you there?

Appleologist :

You do have a few options if you like. You can backup your entire machine to your 1TB drive and then delete some files from your computer. Or you can just backup certain files such as photos, movies and music and then delete some files from your computer

Customer:

ok but i though the time machine updated what was stored with what was current. therefore if i removed photos then the back up would also reduce.

Appleologist :

If you remove the photos from your computer, it will free up space on your computer but will remain on your backup

Customer:

ok thanks

Appleologist :

You are very welcome

Appleologist :

Enjoy the rest of your evening

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.