Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  17+ years of IT support
61870206

Having difficulty setting up driver etc for my Lexmark 405

Having difficulty setting up driver etc for my Lexmark 405 Interpret with my iMac running Mountain Lion, OS 10.8.

Thank you for asking your question today. Let's start off by making sure that you have the correct driver. I've provided a link to the drivers for that printer:

Print Driver

Scan Driver

Install Instructions:

1. 1. Download the files.
  2. 2. Double-click on the file to mount as a disk image.
  3. 3. Open the disk image.
  4. 4. Double-click the installer icon to begin installation.

Once installed, go to Apple (top left corner of menu bar) and select Software Update to make sure your computer is up to date.

Now check to see if you are able to print. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns. If you have no additional questions please remember to Rate/Accept my service before exiting the site so I can be credited for my time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

AS STATED IN MY INQUIRY, I have already down-loaded and run both of these, as well as the "WirelessSetupAssistant_2.0.0_10.6orLater_forIntel".

"No updates available" was the response

I apologize but that statement is not present in your initial response. Ok, so is the printer connected directly to your iMac or wireless?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Wireless, using the same network I had used with my iMac G5 (Power PC)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

also tried to add the printer under "Print and Scan" options and I get:

"Can't install the software for the Lexmark S300-S400 Series because it is not currently available from the Software Update server."

Are you sure that you have connected your printer to the wireless network from the printer? From the printer, go to Menu button, navigate to Network Setup and then TCP/IP > IPv4 Setup. You can view the IP address by pressing the network connection symbol. Tell me what the IP address is. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

192.168.0.8

Ok, great! I need you to go to System Preferences > Print & Scan again. On the left column, press the + (plus) symbol to add the printer. Then, click the IP (globe) tab, select Internet Protocol (IPP) or HP JetDirect Socket under the Protocol tab, and then enter the printer IP Address,192.168.0.8, in the Address: field.

If the Use: field does not autopopulate to your printer, click it and choose Select Printer Software where a dropdown will appear showing installed drivers.

Let me know if that works.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tried to use thru IPP & HP JetDirect Socket, without success.

Use:_field autopopulated with Generic PostScript Printer. Added the printer that way, but i would not print.

Deleted that device from the list and tried to add it again. This time it somehow found Driver Version: 11.2 without special action on my part.

Possibly the reason that it "Can't install the software for the Lexmark S300-S400 Series because it is not currently available from the Software Update server", was simply because the server was busy.

I have no other reasonable explanation.

BL: Can now print and scan.

I'm glad to see it's working now. Have a good a night!