Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have a macbook Pro computer. I have forgotten the passwords

Customer Question

I have a macbook Pro computer. I have forgotten the passwords to the safe. I wold like to know if I can remove everything off the computer and start over from a a new computer.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is Ashik and I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

Yes, it is possible. What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.1

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
10.1 ? That is a wrong version for Macbook Pros. Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs came with your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.6.8

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Do you have the Mac OS X 10.6 installation discs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, it was dowloaded on the internet

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You can't download 10.6 from Internet, only 10.7 or later can be downloaded from Apple Store (Internet)

Are you sure you don't have the discs ? Can you please search them ? We need the discs to erase your Mac and reinstall OS X
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mac OS X Version 10.6.8, and I am reading from (about this MAC)

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
10.6 is the Major version (also know as Snow Leopard) and 10.6.1, 10.6.2, 10.6.8 etc are minor updates to 10.6 version.

Your Mac must have came with the OS X discs. Can you please check them ? If you don't have the discs, then you can't erase the Mac and reinstall OS X. But there is another way to delete everything from the Mac except system files. Please let me know if you want to do that and I will help give you the steps to do it.

Only rate the answer after we solved the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

looking right now, hold on

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Take your time...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I cant find the disk

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
There is another way. You can delete the current user account of your Mac and create a brand new one. When you delete the old account, everything on it will be deleted except the installed applications, system files etc

But when you login to new account, it will be like a Out of Box Mac. Do you want to do that ? If so, I will give you the steps to do it.

Or you can buy the Snow Leopard installation discs (for $19) and then erase your Mac with it and install a fresh OS X. Let me know...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will take the out of box Mac, where do I get the Disks

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You can buy the discs from here : http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

If you need the instructions to erase the Mac and reinstall OS X with the discs, please let me know.

Now, Follow the steps below to create a brand new User Account. You have to create the account in Single User Mode.
  • Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) + S key to boot into Single User Mode. You will be logged into a black screen with white letters.
  • When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line). Make sure you write the commands correctly.
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account. Then goto System Preferences > Accounts, select your old account and just delete it by pressing the - icon in the left bottom.

Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry ASHIK but I didnot see anything but a blck screen and white letters and then it went off and then after a few minutes went on again showing me the exact screen I had to start

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to type the commands ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
to complicated
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Could you please tell me why did you rated me as Poor Service ? That rating will badly affect my job here. I'm trying to help you and you are leaving me Negative rating. I need to know whether it goes off when you type or not.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You don't have the discs to do what you want to do. This is the only way to solve your problem without the discs. Do you honestly think I provided a Poor Service to you ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
We can try again. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command + Option + P + R keys. After 3 startup sounds, release the keys and let the Mac boot up. Then turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command + S keys. This will boot into Single User Mode. Then type the commands below;

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

Press return key after each line. When you press return after the third command, your Mac will turn off. Then turn it back on and you will be taken to screen to create a new user account.

If that didn't work, then you can buy the Snow Leopard disc and erase your Mac with it and install fresh OS X. When you get the discs, insert the OS X Disc 1 to your Mac. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down C key on your Keyboard. Keep it held down until it boots into the disc. It may take upto 15 minutes to boot into the disc. Once it booted to disc, click on Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column and click Erase button (under Erase tab). When it is finished, close the window and follow the onscreen to reinstall your Mac OS X. This will erase everything from your Mac and install a fresh OS X.

PS : You can also buy 10.6 Snow Leopard from eBay.com too.