Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My son used a passcode to lock the ipad and forgot the number.

My son used a passcode to lock the ipad and forgot the number. We have tried very unsucessfullyto restore the ipad but can not. Can you advise me what to do please
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

When you locked it, you can't restore it in the normal way. You can restore it by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) Mode. DFU Mode is a mode which will allow you to restore your iPad to working condition. Put your iPad to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) Mode and restore it from iTunes. Follow the steps below to put your iPad to DFU Mode;
  • Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer
  • On your iPad Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.
  • After exactly 8 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode, so keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until we solve the problem

Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,