Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

Ive been using this external USB device, but it all of the

I've been using this external USB device, but it all of the sudden won't be recognized by my MAC. Anyway to fix this or is it busted?

I tried on a PC as well and it wanted to format it...

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

Our goal is to determine if your issue is related to your computer or your device. To see if your computer even recognizes your device, connect your usb drive to your computer. Then click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in disk utility

Customer:

Its recognizing the device.

Customer:

But disk utility won't let me run any tests

Appleologist :

Are you getting an error message?

Customer:

When I insert it, it says "This disk was not readable by the computer"

Appleologist :

Are the text in red?

Customer:

No, black. But it gives the red stop sign with the exclamation point.

Appleologist :

I wish I had better news. When you see that error, that means your usb device is failing or has failed already. You can try to reformat it, but you will most likely need to replace it

Customer:

Why does that happen?

Customer:

I mean, it was working and then literally I took it, put it back in and then this happened.

Appleologist :

Hard drive failures are very common in both computers and external drives. The frustrating part is that they fail without warning. Other than dropping it, drive can fail because of age or mechanical hardware failure

Appleologist :

You can also try to reformat it, but that will erase everything. You probably do not want to do that. I have also seen success in software such as drive saver that assisted in data recovery/repair

Customer:

So I can reformat and then use drive saver?

Appleologist :

No, you will need to choose either or. Either you attempt to reformat the drive (which will erase everything) or you can purchased drive saver which is a $99 data recovery (if you will like to retrive data) or DiskWarrior if your will like to attempt to repair the drive.

Customer:

Is DiskWarrior ree?

Appleologist :

No, it is also $99. It may not be worth it depending on what is stored on your drive

Customer:

How can I reformat it on a mac?

Appleologist :

You can attempt to reformat if it lets you within disk utility. Select your UBS drive and then choose partition

Appleologist :

Full Size Image

Customer:

And then add 1 partition?

Appleologist :

Under Partition Layout, choose 1partition and then choose apply

Appleologist :

If it will not allow you to partition then that means there is a mechanical issue with your drive and it needs to be replaced

Customer:

It worked... Thanks

Appleologist :

Yay you are very welcome. Was there anything els I can assist you with?

Customer:

Thats it for now, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The USB drive works fine on my MAC, but the PC isn't recognizing it. Any ideas why?

Hi Stephen,
It will work fine on your mac because it is only formatted for Mac. If you would like to use it for both Mac and PC , you will need to format it to MS-Dos (FAT). If you would like that option, go back to disk utility and choose partition, under format choose MS-Dos (FAT).