Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

Ipod touch Model MC086BT (2nd Generation A1288) Serial No.

Ipod touch Model MC086BT (2nd Generation A1288) Serial No. 9C946XHG75J (8GB) I wish to give my Itouch to my grandson so that he can download games apps. I have tried to start it off this am but keep getting 'needs Open GL ES 2.0 or iOS 4.3 I have been unable to update the ipod and wonder is there any way I can the necessary downloads etc. Thanks David xxxxx

Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

To update your grandson's ipod touch, you will need to connect it to your computer that is running itunes. I will walk you through. First connect your ipod using the charging cable that came with your device, then open itunes on your computer if it does not automatically open

Customer :

Sorry for the delay - I had to go ut for a short while!!

Appleologist :

Its ok no problem. Is your ipod connected to your computer?

Customer :

Yes and Ituners opened showing the music library

Appleologist :

Good. In the left column under devices, click on your ipod touch

Customer :

This is where I have one of the problems - there is no left hand column!

Appleologist :

You must have updated to the new itunes which now allows you to hide it. To show it again, choose view in the top menu bar and select show sidebar

Customer :

Column now showing

Appleologist :

Ok now under devices, is your ipod listed?

Customer :

Yes - as Ipod touch

Appleologist :

Ok, select your ipod touch. It will then show the summary page. To the right of the picture of your ipod touch, you will see an update button

Customer :

Clicked on the itouch icon and the devices section disappeared! Now just Library, Store and playlists.

Appleologist :

Disconnect and reconnect your ipod. You may have accidentally clicked on the arrow which will eject the ipod

Customer :

tched the main screen toClicked on Ipod Touch (words) and it has switched the main screen to Sync with Itunes

Appleologist :

Good your are in the right place. Do you see the update button next to the picture of your ipod?

Customer :

The line of the Itouch shows arrow pointing to the right, small picture of Itouch, words Ipod-touch, battery (?) and arrow pointing up

Appleologist :

Refer to this illustration. Do you see the update button now?

Full Size Image

Customer :

No - I don't have a picture like that on the main screen or in the side bar

Appleologist :

Does it look like this

Full Size Image

Appleologist :

If not, can you describe what you are seeing?

Customer :

No - the main scrfeen has a 'handwritten' heading "sync music, films television and more" and large heading in the middle of the page "Sync with Itunes"

Appleologist :

Our next option is to restore and update your device which will erase and update your device. Do you have a backup?

Customer :

No - but do not worry - I have cleared everything out apart from a couple address before handing it over.

Appleologist :

Ok good so lets restore and update. To do this, keep the ipod connected to itunes. Press and hold both the sleep and home button for 30 secs or until it shows up in itunes. The sleep button is located at the upper left corner and the home button is the round button located at the bottom front bezel

Customer :

Dome that - the device has disappeared from ther sidebar.

Customer :

Correction - now back on it again.

Appleologist :

Ok, it should now show up in recovery mode

Customer :

Clicked on the itouch icon - back to the sync page again!

Customer :

I will try the last manoeuvre again

Appleologist :

Ok, make sure you are holding both buttons at the same time

Customer :

Just come back onto the sidebar - noticed that it was syncing. Clicked again on itouch to go back to the same sync screen telling that it has been synced and can be disconnected. I won't touch anything until I hear from you

Appleologist :

If you are in the sync screen, Do you see tabs up top that say summary, info, apps, tones etc

Customer :

Yes - it is on the summary tab

Appleologist :

Ok in the summary tab is where the update feature should be. It is normally to the right. If not, do you see IOS

Customer :

No I have clicked the summary tab again - all it shows is the main sync screen. The other tabs are: Apps, Music, Films, TV Progs, Photos and Info

Appleologist :

On your ipod, click on settings, general and about. Can you read me your version number

Customer :

4.2.1. (8C138)

Customer :

Sorry one fingure too big - should read 4.2.1 (8C148)

Appleologist :

Hmm. 4.3.3 should defiantly show up in itunes. Lets try to place it into recovery mode again. Turn off your ipod first by pressing and holding the sleep button

Customer :

Held and moved slide to power down - Mine is 4.2.1. not 4.3.3.

Appleologist :

Oh, then that is why you do not see the update button. Your ipod 2nd gen can only update to 4.2.1

Appleologist :

which app are you trying to download?

Customer :

One of the general games (grandson will be going for quite a lot if he can. The answers I get when trying to download are: 'incompatable with your itouch' : 'Needs Open GL ES 2.0 or Needs iOS 4.3. Does this mean nothing can be done?

Appleologist :

Well 4.3 is only compatible with ipod touch 3rd generation and 4th generation. This means there is a hardware restriction and can not be updated unless you upgrade the actual device

Customer :

How would I go about an upgrade and can you tell me the aproximate cost?

Appleologist :

Yes, you do have a few options. You can purchase your ipod touch online at the apple store. The 5th gen ipods start at $299. Since you only need 3rd or up, I recommend getting a certified refurbished ipod which is like new for $149. Here is the link to browse your options http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod

Customer :

MichelleThanks very much Michelle

Appleologist :

You are so welcome. Best of luck to you

Customer :

Sorry about that bit - I pressed to go on another line and it went. I meant to say Thanks very much for your help and patience - it really was excellent service!

Appleologist :

Awwww thank you for your kinds words and positive feeback

Appleologist :

You can now go ahead and rate my service and end the Chat. You can also get back to me anytime you want even after rating at http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-michelleblack/. Enjoy the rest of your day

Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.