David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional

I want to use the Magic Mouse with my MacBook Pro. I bought

I want to use the Magic Mouse with my MacBook Pro. I bought a Magic Mouse. When I open Bluetooth Setup Assistant it says something about not being for a PC! I don't have a PC.

Do I need to download Bluetooth again? My computer says the version I have is up to date.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

When you click the  menu, and About This Mac, what does it say for:

Mac OS X version:

Thank you in advance :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Orocessor 2.6 GHz Intel Core 17

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

OS X version 10.8.2

Hi :)

Thank you! If when you open System Preferences - Bluetooth it's OK, but you open the setup assistant and it gives an error, then it should only be a software issue, as Bluetooth would give an error on opening that preference pane, if it was a hardware issue.

Do you have any other Bluetooth devices at the moment or ever before?

What is the text exactly when it gives the error, and is it as soon as you press the + in System Preferences Bluetooth, and if not when exactly?

Thanks for your help :)

Your sincerely,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I search for Bluetooth Setup Assistant this is the message I get:

You can't open the application "Bluetooth Setup Assistant" because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

Hi Tina :)

Did you use Migration Assistant when your transferred data from an old Mac to this?

How do you come to see that message? Do you see a + symbol in System Preferences - Bluetooth, press it, and then it appears?

Thank you for your patience with my questions. They are designed to search for the root of the problem.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went to " Find" in the Finder menu. When I click on Bluetooth Setup Assistant I get the box with the message.

I didn't transfer the data – it was done at the Apple Store – about a month ago from my old computer.

That's fine, it was transferred is the main thing. The transfer also transferred a PowerPC version of the Bluetooth Setup Assistant. This is old code, for IBM CPU's, and Rosetta or PowerPC code is no longer supported in your version of Mac OS X.

When you searched you found the old version, bit the correct version is already on your Mac since even before the data transfer. You don't need to search for the correct version, just open System Preferences from the  menu and Bluetooth. Unlock the padlock in the bottom left if it is locked. Click the Plus '+' in the bottom left, and the correct version of the assistant will open.

If this is not what happens, please get back to me so I can give you more information based on what does happen.

Yours sincerely,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Opened Blue tooth from System Preferences.

Got box that said No devices . .

cliicked on Advanced

Got box with padlock

clicked on plus sign under box on the right

it said "serial Port added"

Went back to B S A in Finder and it still gives me the same box "You can't open . . . "

The problem of adding the mouse no longer has anything to do with the error message.

We know that that version of the setup assistant is wrong, and that the correct version does not give that error message.

The correct version opens, it is working perfectly and we have no evidence that it is not.

It says it cannot find a device. This is more likely to be true, than the software is not working.

In System Preferences - Bluetooth, click the Plus '+' before clicking Advanced.

Do you see a rotating cog wheel? Does it say 'Searching for Devices' beside it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I get the searching for devices box with the rotating wheel but there is no plus sign.

I get a box that says No Devices with a bar that says "Set up new devices"

At the top is a a line that says "Bluetooth Mac (14-10-af-db-42-ac) and two boxes underneath – both checked – that say Discoverable and ON.

I see, this is what the Bluetooth panel looks without any Bluetooth devices.

It looks like the mouse is not working properly, so it could be under-powered batteries, or a hardware issue with the mouse.

Unfortunately we can't say at for certain with doing some tests.

Do you have any other PC or Mac you could check, to see if the mouse is wirelessly detected?

Do you have a Bluetooth phone or device, to confirm that the software on your Mac can wirelessly detect other devices?

Thank you in advance,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am traveling and am in a hotel room. I have an iPhone. I have no idea if Bluetooth is on my iPhone.

I could replace the AA batteries but I don't have them now.

In fact you have the ideal thing to check the Bluetooth capability of the Mac.

Once you unlock your iPhone, tap Settings, then Bluetooth, then slide it to On.

It should say 'Now Discoverable'.

Open Bluetooth preferences or close it and reopen it.

It should scan, and detect the iPhone.

Let me know if it is otherwise.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Opened BT in settings. It is on.

Rotating cog searching.

"Now Discoverable" in untappable grey.

Still searching.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have an app't now for about an hour.

Please continue and I will respond when I return.

Thank you so much.

That's fine as I will be online all day today, you can let me know as soon as you are ready.

When you saw the untappable Discoverable on the iPhone, did you open and close System Preferences, to see if the iPhone was detactable by the Mac?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, I opened SP and nothing.

I'm back.

Please shut down your Mac. Then disconnect all cables and the power connection.

Plug just the power connection back in after about 30 seconds.

1. Then, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

2. And release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

If steps 1 -2 are not done correctly, if they are not pressed simultaneously or released simultaneously, then the Mac might start up.

If this happens wait, shut it down again, and try 1 -2 again.

When that is done, just power on using the power button as you normally would.

Open System Preferences - Bluetooth and scan for any devices again.

Then, if same, click the  in the top left and click Software Update.

Let me know how it goes.