MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

iMac 2.93 GHz intel Core 2 Duo, 6 GB RAM, running 10.6.8. In

Customer Question

iMac 2.93 GHz intel Core 2 Duo, 6 GB RAM, running 10.6.8.
In the last couple of months the machine has begun to spontaneously log me out, quitting all applications suddenly, and returning me to the login screen.

This is a serious problem, and has a random nature -- different applications running, different tasks happening, no discernable activating event.

Checked logs (via console.app) that showed a WindowServer crash.

What's causing this, and what is the fix?

Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 3 years ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

Have you by chance experienced from time to time, during this period of time, a screen popping up with a variety of languages appear, locking up your screen and forcing you to reboot?

MacTechTrainer :

Hi are you able to review my responses to you?

MacTechTrainer :

Have you tried any troubleshooting procedures to fix this issue?

MacTechTrainer :

I am asking because a WindowServer crash may have something to do with your system experiencing kernel panics or temporary fatal errors

MacTechTrainer :

in order to assist you, however, I would need a response to my questions, so that I may work to better assist you with your question

MacTechTrainer :

Hello ,

MacTechTrainer :

I am now in the Question and Answer (Q & A) mode in order to better communicate with you.

MacTechTrainer :

My apologies again for the inconvenience our chat interface is causing you.

MacTechTrainer :

Thank you.

MacTechTrainer :

Please note, in this mode, we will be posting our responses to each other. Only one of us can post a reply and the other can review that reply. Therefore I ask for your patience in advance, while troubleshooting your issue, as I may not answer you immediately. This does not mean I am not available, it just means I may either be researching your issue further or may be in process of providing you a more detailed answer.

MacTechTrainer :

Sincerely,

MacTechTrainer :

Please reply back to this session, to let me know you are able to view my responses ok and I will start working to assist you with your _____ question.

MacTechTrainer :

-Terry. Sr. Mac Support Specialist

Hello Blair,

I am in our Question and Answer mode now and am awaiting your response to let me know if you are online and able to review the inquires I am posting as well as the information I am working to provide you.

I await your response.

Thank you.

Respectfully,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Terry,

Sorry about the slow reply!

> Have you by chance experienced from time to time,
> during this period of time, a screen popping up with
> a variety of languages appear, locking up your screen
> and forcing you to reboot?

No, I have not seen kernel panics or fatal errors.

Here is what my research turned up.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3741233?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3036457?

I was hoping you would have more experience,

and be able to shed some light on this.

Thanks for your time looking into it!

Blair

No problem at all Blair. Glad to see you back online.

Bear with me and I am going to look a little further into this issue and will be back with you shortly today. I am sure I will have a good answer for you.

Thanks for your prompt response!

Chat with you soon.

Kind Regards,

-Terry
Thanks for your patience Blair and the updates on this issue you have been researching.

In order to resolve this issue, because this is more of an Mac OS X kernel panic problem, the only way to resolve this, problem with the frequency of the crashing of the WindowsServer is to refer to this guide that Apple recommends for resolving higher than normal kernel panic issues like the ones you are experiencing on your iMac.

Here is the link: Mac OS X: About kernel panics

I am providing you this guide Blair, because it is a great resource to refer to to help resolve these kernel panics on your iMac.

Finally, from my experience in troubleshooting Macs that experience frequent kernel panics, the quickest way to remove this problem is to run a full Disk Repair procedure using the Disk Utility application by booting up from to it, with your Mac OS X 10.6 Installation disc.

If the Disk Repair does not resolve the kernel panics, the only other viable options would be to take your iMac in to a local Apple Retail Store for further diagnosis and repair.

Of course the latter is a last ditch option if nothing else works, but I must advise you to keep this as still a possibility, because kernel panics, or temporary fatal errors are not always software related, they can be hardware related. If the panics are hardware related, that is more serious and will require professional tech support to root out the problem before it becomes worse.

I see you are offline at the moment, but I hope this answer does reach you. Please feel free to respond with any additional questions. Seeing that you are still working to tackle this issue, I will be watching for your updates in order to assist as well as I can based on stated cirumstances.

Thank you again for coming back online to JustAnswer.com. I will watch for your next update as necessary.

Regards,

-Terry