John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

Hi I want to clear the history from my DVD player. I was told

Customer Question

Hi I want to clear the history from my DVD player. I was told to go the DVD "Menu" and choose "Open Recent" The "Open Recent" line with the arrow is all grayed out, despite having viewed a number of DVDs, both recently and previously. Is there an item in preferences or somewhere else where I can choose to have the Open Recent line active (black) rather than grayed out.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

The "Open Recent" menu option is grayed out when there is no history listed. The "Clear menu" history command is located under this menu as well. If the history has been cleared via this command then that would also explain why they menu option is gray/not available.

Are you having an issue with the DVD Player app or are you seeing a history list elsewhere that yo uare trying to clear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already cleared my cookies and cashe files as well as the internet history. Would the DVD memory have been cleared as a result of clearing out those?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
What cache files did you clear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think all of them. Safari cache. I also went to "Finder" "Library" which contains idvd. There was a list and I checked all of the boxes...can't find it right now.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Dennis,

if you cleared the cache folder located at /Users/*username*/Library/Caches then that may have cleared the listing.

There is also a file called com.apple.DVDPlayer.plist located in /Users/*username*/Library/Preferences that you may wish to move to trash to make sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry John I didn't get back to you. Will my computer create another "DVDplayer.plist" file if I play more DVD's?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Yes indeed it will.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

I put it in the trash then ran a test. I have inserted a couple of DVD's and played parts of them then checked the "Opened recently file"...it's still grayed out. Your thoughts?

DA

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
I don't have an optical drive in my current Mac to double-check but I'm thinking, in the case of DVD Player, that the Open Recent menu item may ONLY list content readily available and not from external discs such as DVDs.

The point of the Open Recent menu is to load previously played content, and a disc you've removed is not accessible in this context.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

Thanks so much for the information you have provided. It has been very helpful. I just wish to clarify one more thing:

From what you have instructed me to do and what I have done, can you can assure me 100% that I have removed all of the data regarding any DVD's that have been played on my computer? Are there any traces of that information that could be detected with a reasonably sophisticated utility program or something else? If so, is there anything else that I can do to make sure that information is wiped clear?

DA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

You have provided me great service so far and I'd like to tip you as well for a job well done. I'd just like this clarification on my last question.

DA

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dennis,

I was certainl I'd replied to this but the response doesn't seem to be here.

There are high level forensic utilities that may or may not be able to recover evidence of what you've watched but the only 100% fool proof safe guard to something like that is physically destroying the hard drive itself. I doubt you want to go that far.