John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I recently had paid a video shop to convert an old home vhs

Customer Question

I recently had paid a video shop to convert an old home vhs to dvd recently. But I'm having a hard time trying to save it my mac book pro. It's am "Unix Executable file". I would just like to convert it to .mov file or any file so I can upload it in my computer and include it in a iMovie, youtube or Facebook. it's only about 5 minutes but it's very important--I'm working on a memorial slideshow for my younger brothers funeral service. any help would be great! Thanks. sorry I am IT illiterate.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me the complete file name including extension of this file? Select the file and use Get Info (Command-i), if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

I appreciate your help! Name and extension is VIDEO_TS.BUP.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kristal,

Is this the only file you recieved? In most cases a *.bup file is a backup of an existing information file about the video content (ending in *.inf) and is delivered with another file that contains the video itself ending *.vob as a DVD ready format.

If this is indeed the only file, can you tell me the size as listed in Get Info, as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

none of those file names you mentioned look familiar. but here is the size: 12,288 bytes (12 KB on disk)

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again, Kristal. The size indicates that this is NOT a video file, as suspected. How did you receive the converted material and were any other files included?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh I see! you're right, I'm sorry, there is more files! there's:

VIDEO_TS.IFO

and

VIDEO_TS.VOB

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, great!

Probably the best software to use for conversion in this case is Handbrake:
http://handbrake.fr

Download and launch HandBrake for Mac. A dialogue box should appear, asking you to load a source video or DVD. Choose the VIDEO_TS.VOB file.

After choosing a source file, you will probably see a screen similar to this:
graphic

Click the "Toggle Presets" button in the top right to view the Presets drawer if it's not visible. "Apple: Universal" may be the best choice here or one of the "Regular" profiles.

Then, click Start to start video to MP4 conversion!

Hopefully, this info will answer your question and if so please don't forget to positively rate my service . If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion prior to rating. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Words can't describe how grateful I am for your help especially because I am completely and utterly IT illiterate!! I would definitely recommend you to anyone. Fast and friendly service...

Here is the link to the memorial video I made for my younger brother, that I couldn't have done without you..(the video footage is within the photo slideshow)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcdxeL0mZ-w

Thank you John!!

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kristal,

for some reason I just now got notice of this reply but wanted to say you are very welcome! I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Best wishes,