Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Can´t get my iMac to start. White canvas with Apple symbol

Customer Question

Can´t get my iMac to start. White canvas with Apple symbol and a glowing sun beneath, but it doesn´t start
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

today

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps. First reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Turn off your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys and let the Mac boot up.

If that didn't work, then boot your Mac into Safe Mode. Turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and Immediately hold down the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up to Safe Mode.

Let me know if that didn't work, so we continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In safe mode a grey bar appeared, filled up one third and disappeared, back where we started

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mountain lion

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It seems like the system files are corrupted. We can reinstall your OS X Mountain Lion. Reinstalling OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the system files with new one. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command + R keys and this will boot your Mac to the Mountaion Lion Recovery Screen or Mac OS X Utilities. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall your Mac OS X.

Make sure your Mac is connected to the Internet to complete the process. It will take a while to reinstall OS X. Please let me know how it goes.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

problem fixed. Thanks

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear that. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Have a great day,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,