MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I have a 24" IMac running OS X 10.5.8 Office for Mac 2008.

Customer Question

I have a 24" IMac running OS X 10.5.8
Office for Mac 2008. Just recently when I try to open Excel or an Excel file I get the message "File not loaded completely" & "Excel does not recognize this file format". These same files have always worked fine before. Word & Power Point work fine.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 1 year ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

So to make sure I understand the issue here, you Excel file is not opening. Can you provide me the extension of the Excel file you are trying to open? (example: "xls" or "xlsx")

Customer:

I think that both are having the same problem. I can't even open the application Excel without getting these messages

MacTechTrainer :

So you are unable to use Excel, even beyond this particular Excel file not opening, correct?

MacTechTrainer :

(Thank you for your patience in advance, as I have to ask these questions in order to better isolate what some of the symptoms of your technical issue are-- in order to work toward a more viable solution for you)

Customer:

yes, that is correct.

MacTechTrainer :

Ok bear with me for a few minutes if you don't mind, I am going to provide a few simple procedures to see if we can't help you resolve this issue with Excel

Customer:

OK

MacTechTrainer :

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

• From your desktop, click anywhere on a blank space on your desktop. Now you should see Finder listed near the Apple menu icon, located in the upper left corner of your screen.

• From the Finder menu, click on Go, then Home from the drop-down menu. This will take you to your Home folder.

• Locate and open the Library folder

• Within Library folder look for the Preferences folder and open it.

• Locate and remove to the Trash, this file :
com.microsoft.Excel.plist

Once you have removed this file , then click the back button on your open Finder window. This will return you to the Library view.

• Locate and Trash the folder entitled Caches

Once you have done that, close all windows, click on the Apple menu icon located in the upper left corner of your screen and select Restart..

Reboot your Mac. This actions will restore all the files and folders you just trashed, with new copies of each of them.

Once you have booted your Mac back up, proceed to launch Excel once again.

Let me know if this helps.

**To save this session, should you have to leave or reboot your computer: Please bookmark this page in your web browser, so once you return, you can easily contact me by accessing that bookmark and even if I am offline, I will be alerted anytime you post a response in the session once you return. ***

Customer:

Did what you described & rebooted. Running very slow took about ten minutes to reboot. Tried to open Exel & it took a long time, then showed message. "Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem & needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". I have tried to open it again & get the same results.

MacTechTrainer :

Ok this definitely appears to be an issue with the Excel application launching now - so I am going to take another approach to try and help you resolve

MacTechTrainer :

So here is what I would like you to try next:

I would like you to create a new user account, so that we can test if the
issue you are having, is specific to only the single User Administrator Login Account you are in now,
or if this is more of a System-wide issue, affecting all User accounts created on your Mac. The outcome of
this procedure will allow me to determine the next course of action I can
advise you to take in order to get Excel back up.

-CREATING A NEW ADMIN USER- (for troubleshooting purposes)

• Click on the Apple menu icon in upper left corner of your screen. Now select System Preferences from the drop down menu.

• From within System Preferences, select Accounts
• When the Accounts window opens, click on the padlock icon
at the bottom left corner and enter your Admin User password XXXXX your Mac, when the dialog box pops up.

• Once you have full access to the Accounts window, click the "+" button, which is located just above the padlock you just clicked.

• Create an new user with the User name "test" and use a password XXXXX "test or "password" as a generic password.

• Make sure to click the check box for " Allow user to administer this computer", to make sure that the test user has full Administrator rights. (Don't worry, you can delete this account off of your Mac when we are done troubleshooting this issue)

• Once you have committed this new user, quit System Preferences and close all windows and applications.

• Now once again, click on the Apple menu icon and select
Logout <your username>, located at bottom of the menu, and you will be logged out.

•From the login window that you are at now, select the New User account you just made and with your generic password, log in to that account.

• When in that new User Account proceed to go into your Applications folder and attempt to launch Excel in this new user enviroment.

MacTechTrainer :

Please respond back to me and let me know how Excel responds in this new environment, if it works or not.

MacTechTrainer :

This process is key to determining if your Excel is still functional or if there is a break in the operational functioning of the application.

MacTechTrainer :

By the way, do you still have the master application disc for Microsoft Office for Mac 2008 in your possession?

MacTechTrainer :

This is a high priority case for us, so I will be working diligently to help you get the answer you deserve..

MacTechTrainer :

however,

MacTechTrainer :

I see you are offline. When you are back online however, just reply back to this session, I will be alerted, whether I am online or off and will be able to assist you further.

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for posting your question, I look forward to assisting you shortly.

MacTechTrainer :

Regards,

MacTechTrainer :

Terry ("MacTechTrainer")

MacTechTrainer :

Sr. Mac Support Specialist

Customer:

Di what you said & it seems to have solved the problem, excel now launches and runs ok. Yes I have the office for Mac 208 disks, I reinstalled them yesterday but it didn't help.

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for the update

MacTechTrainer :

Now that process was within the new user account. So I as I understand from your response, the Excel application works ok in the new user account- so how does it presently work if you return to your original User Admin login account?

MacTechTrainer :

Just clarifying, because I want to make sure that no matter what user account you do use on your Mac, Excel will work

MacTechTrainer :

for you :)

Customer:

No, in the other environment it still doesn't open.

MacTechTrainer :

Ok what that means is that there is a break in the Excel application within that original user

MacTechTrainer :

so the only way to fix this, is to remove the Microsoft Office 2008 and re-install it on the user account. This will NOT delete any files you have created in Word, Excel, or Power Point, for example

MacTechTrainer :

this will only remove the master application and all of its files and folders and allow you to re-install a fresh new copy of the same application-- which once re-installed, will allow all of your saved Excel (and Word files if you have any) to be re-joined with the Microsoft Office for Mac 2008 new copy

MacTechTrainer :

I know this well as I had to also do this myself when I was using 2008 (twice)

Customer:

When I reinstalled it before it didn't correct the problem.

MacTechTrainer :

It actually depends on if you first uninstalled the MS Office 2008 first, because if that was not done properly, then the re-install would still be conflicting with older files from the original installation

MacTechTrainer :

so on that note, how did you remove the previous copy of MS Office for Mac 2008, before re-installing it once again?

Customer:

Yes, I did run the uninstall first then did the re-install.

MacTechTrainer :

and that was the built in uninstall tool correct?

MacTechTrainer :

in the MS Office folder

MacTechTrainer :

(again, just clarifying :))

Customer:

I used the un-install part of the original MS Office for Mac 2008. If you want I can do it again.

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for offering. But I would like you to try an even more robust application removal software called AppCleaner

MacTechTrainer :

for Mac. It is free, easy to use and very good for cleanly wiping master applications and their files from your system so you re-install a clean copy of your Application without any residual,, older files getting in the way of a good working installation and re-launching of that product

Customer:

Should I download this app and try it now?

MacTechTrainer :

Oh yes, go right ahead

MacTechTrainer :

and THANK YOU- for being so patient thus far; I can't imagine the irritation this issue with Excel not responding has caused you- but it is my pleasure to help you get it back to operational capacity once again :)

MacTechTrainer :

I will standby for now and await your update after you perform this new uninstall and re-install of MS Office for Mac 2008

Customer:

Well, I'm not irritated, it's great to finally make some progress towards solving the problem. I've been dealing with it for about a week!

Customer:

I did the uninstall with AppCleaner and re-installed Office but I still get theerror message & excel doesn't open.

MacTechTrainer :

Understood. Well that puts you into a rare group - of very patient customers

MacTechTrainer :

ok well considering that does not work for you either

MacTechTrainer :

then let's try this

MacTechTrainer :

Tell me what happens when you click this link, if you see a file or folder listed:

MacTechTrainer :

MacTechShare

Customer:

I got a file asking for my user name

MacTechTrainer :

what does that file say?

MacTechTrainer :

the name that is

Customer:

It looks like a log in sheet for "egnyte" Mactechshare File Server

MacTechTrainer :

Ok, that is what I was wondering.

MacTechTrainer :

I want to send you an invite to this technical share folder I have created for JustAnswer customers like you to specifically access certain files

MacTechTrainer :

I believe I have an installer file which may help you get your access to MS Office for Mac back

Customer:

OK remember my level of detail is medium & that might be stretching it!

MacTechTrainer :

that is ok, I will guide you :)

MacTechTrainer :

what email service do you use (i.e. gmail, aol, msn, etc.)

Customer:

Yahoo

MacTechTrainer :

and what is the username of yahoo email? (i.e. "mr.johnson127 or mybff323", etc.)

Customer:

terryattheflats

MacTechTrainer :

Hey, if that is your first name in there, my name is XXXXX XXXXX!

Customer:

That is my name!

MacTechTrainer :

Ha haa!

MacTechTrainer :

No wonder we get along so well:)

MacTechTrainer :

do me a favor Terry, check your yahoo now and follow the file instructions if you would, exactly as provided

MacTechTrainer :

this may resolve this issue for you once and for all :)

Customer:

Terry, how long should it take to download this? It has been downloading for 45 minutes & says I have 1hour, 32 minutes remaining. Something is not right?

MacTechTrainer :

Oh no, that is correct

MacTechTrainer :

it is a large MS Office installer file

MacTechTrainer :

as long as the progress bar is moving toward completion, let it keep going and don't interrupt it under any circumstances if you can help it :)

Customer:

ok

MacTechTrainer :

Keep me posted! I am watching close on this case

Customer:

Ok I have got it and it is installed and working now

Customer:

Works great! You're patience & persistence were way more than I could have expected. This was my 1st time ever talking to a tech or calling in with a problem & I have had every generation of macs they have come out with and this was the first time I ever had a problem that I couldn't resolve myself. Thank you for renewing my confidence in macs & I hope that if I ever have to call in again I get you for my problem, Terry, you are indeed "the answer man".

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Fantastic Terry!

I love that title you have appointed me as that denotes the years I have worked so far as a professional Mac Tech to be able to do just that: provide all of the helpful answers I possibly can!

Thanks so much Terry, I am more honored than I can say!

Also, I appreciate your Accept of my questions and the kindness of your Bonus! I appreciate this very much.

I hope the information I provided you, has helped you resolve your Mac technical issue.

However, remember, an "Accept" is not necessarily the end of the session, especially if you still have questions, or you find your issue is still not resolved after accepting my initial answer.

So please, feel free to reply again, if you still have questions regarding the question I just answered for you.

If you are satisfied with the Answer(s) provided you, however, we appreciate you taking a moment to provide feedback of our service, as we are always striving to continually provide the best possible customer service experience for you, here with JustAnswer.com

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Sincerest Regards,

Terry, ("MacTechTrainer")
Sr. Mac Support Specialist)