Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have suddenly started having problems using the cursor/trackpad/mouse

I have suddenly started having problems using the cursor/trackpad/mouse on my early 2011 17" macbookpro

Intermittently, I find that I cannot click on anything either with the trackpad or bluetooth mouse. Also as I scroll sometimes it keeps selecting text and I cannot unselect because it wont click.
Sometimes as I switch-on/off I can't actually click on my user ID

Hello Martin, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

It is quite possible a pram reset will fix this.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.
The sound should also get louder.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Try that and let me know, please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks that seems to work
the problem is intermittant (but frequent) so its hard to be immediately sure
I'll let you know again in a few hours
If it comes back then let me know, that is the first procedure, it gets more aggressive. I do not think it will need to but who knows.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont seem to have any more problems

A little about why this happens.
Your Mac is like a large orchestra with many components that have to work in concert.
Just like an orchestra some sections get a little behind or ahead or the conductor has a clod, any thing can affect it. Most of the time it all works until…..
So, a little TLC is what will get all on the same page again, thus the pram reset, one more item will help stave off problems. Repair permissions regularly and after every Apple software update.
This explains it.

Repairing Permissions

Happy to hear it works as it should now, enjoy, thanks for the update.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dan

Is there a reliable app/piece of software that one can purchase to manage and repair permissions?

Actually it is a free app.

Maintenance Widget makes it easy.

It does more than permissions.