Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have a newer Garmin nuvi and the updates do not work on my

I have a newer Garmin nuvi and the updates do not work on my Apple computer. With the cable hooked up, there is no recognition that they are connected. I had trouble when I first got the device and there was a software glitch. I couldn't download the software on my computer, since the software was only for the IBM machines. I had to return the unit to get the update.

Hello, my name is Dan.

My home is close to Lake Ontario in New York State in the Eastern time zone, I am generally online between 10 AM and 11 PM Eastern standard Time.

Please tell me what version of OS X you have. Look in the Apple menu in 'About this Mac'.

Which model Nuvi is it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My nuvi is a 40LM and my computer is a Mac Pro with System 10.7.5.

Ok Mary Lou, sorry for the delay.

Garmin | Mac OS Software and Garmin Devices That is the link for the OS X software, same as I use for my Garmin.
I see you have lifetime maps, you want the Garmin communicator plugin.
I find that Firefox works best as a browser for Garmin, Chrome is one I do not recommend using.

Try installing the above and let me know what you get.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The communicator did not work. I still get that it's not connected to my computer.

How did you connect it? An unpowered hub or powered?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My computer is hooked up with a regular hookup. I have wireless, but my computer doesn't run on wireless.

. Could it be my Internet company?
That does not answer my inquiry. How do you connect the Garmin to your computer?
What did you do after you installed the Mac software for the Garmin?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I connect the nuvi with the cable provided by Garmin. My menu bar Garmin logo prompts me to install the maps. When I do this, it goes to thee screen that says Ready to update. When I do that, it indicates that I need to connect the nuvi to my computer, which it already is. This happened even after the download of the communicator.

How do I update the maps on my Garmin device?
Try this, you will need to download more software, make sure you get the Mac version.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe the last software fix worked. The updates were uploaded properly, It looks like I'll get some good extras with this software. I didn't have much luck on the Garmin website, so this really did help. I appreciate your patience. I'm somewhat tech savvy, but this is my first GPS unit, so didn't know what kind of fix to try.

It is not just you Mary, my Garmin gives me headaches also. Garmin really likes Windows and only supports Mac because we buy the GPS units and won't use Windows, myself included.

I do like the Garmin, it does a nice job at what it does.

Happy to be of assistance.