Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Hi there, I took on this project for a friend, but Im coming

Hi there,
I took on this project for a friend, but I'm coming up with a lot of technical issues. I'm to make simple back up copies (onto DVD's) of movie/video files on a Panasonic HDC-HS250. Once back-up's are made, I may also make DVD's that can be played in a DVD player. I'd likely use my iMovie program for this.
The problem is, I'm a Mac OSX 10.7.5 user, and the video files don't show up when I connect the camera to the computer's USB. I've read a few forums, and tried inserting the SD card directly into the computer's slot, but nothing. I downloaded a trial version of Anusoft MTS Converter, as I read somewhere that this might help. I read on another forum that if I manage to get the files directly off the SD Card into a program like Quicktime, I run the risk of corrupting the SD Card with Mac codes/information. I definitely DO NOT want to risk corrupting the SD card, as there is no back up of the video files.
So my questions are: Can I insert the SD Card in my Mac, and import the files to iMOvie 9.0.8 safely, without corrupting my friend's SD card?
What format are the video files from their Panasonic Camera?
Can I make back up files in a Windows friendly format? (my friend uses a Windows Operating system, so the final product needs to come from my Mac, but be Window's friendly)
Will it be necessary to use the MTS Converter program? What settings?
Thank you in advance for your response.
Rachel Imrie
Hello Rachel, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

There is more than one way to go about this.
The best way to backup what is on the card is to copy it to your hard drive either as files or as a folder full of files.
To do this you should be able to see what looks like an external hard drive on your desktop.
It should look similar to the above.
Look in the folders and find the movies. Select all and drag them to a folder you created just for this on your desktop.
This will allow you to eject it so that the original is safe.

The format that the video is in is iMovie ready. Have you ever used iMovie? If not then please read and watch this.

It is MPEG4-AVC/H.264 standard. Quicktime will not have an issue nor will iMovie.

If you plan to burn a data DVD then select Windows friendly, this way both Macs and Windows can read it.

This is not necessarily a complete answer but should get you started. If you need any clarification please ask.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Daniel. It's a simple answer, but things don't seem to be resolved.

I put the SD card in the computer's SD slot, and went to finder, to copy the files to a folder on my desktop. The contents of the SD card showed up as folders:

DCIM (empty folder)

MISC >Autprint.mrk

Private>AVCHD>AVCHDTN>Thumb.tdt, and Thumb.tid

BDMV>CLIPINF, INDEX.BDM, MOVIEOBJ, BDM, Playlist folder, and Stream folder

IISVPL folder>empty folder

In other words, his folders all have "stuff" in them, but the movies themselves don't appear to be there.

Yet, when the SD card is in the camera, I can see all of the videos he has recorded for the past 3 years.

I'm starting to wonder if this is more than a PC/Mac issue, and if there is something wrong with his card files. My friend has also had trouble getting his video files from his own camera onto his PC(that's why he has asked me for help). Just chalked it up to his Windows operating system being difficult-lol.

Seems like something might be wrong with the card, maybe? Then what? Media recovery software?

Thank you

Could be a card issue.
If you also have the camera it may be possible to off load the files that way.
A couple of ways to do that.
You have tried the USB way and nothing happens so try the video out to Roxio VHS to DVD software. I use it myself, it does a good job quality depends on what comes in more than anything else. The quality should be good for this.
You say three years worth of video, I would say the card may have issues and that makes this probably the best way.

From that it can be sent to iMovie or elsewhere. It will do no harm to the contents of the card.

What do you think?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm in the process of getting the files from the camera onto the computer now. iMovie offers you the option to create an Archive of the video files in a folder on your hard drive, as well as import them to iMovie, to work with them there. I'll see how this goes.

I'm a Photographer, accustomed to the picture files being on an actual card, so I didn't realize the video camera itself has such a big internal hard drive to store videos.

Hopefull this is resolved. I will let you know shortly. Thank you for your help.

You are welcome, I do this video stuff in addition to JA and know one or two things.
I suggest making a disk image (.dmg) as opposed to burning a DVD, this allows more than one copy to be made without processing it all again.
Data is data but video needs compression.
Please keep me posted.