Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I downloaded the "extended share" for google plus, and it has

I downloaded the "extended share" for google plus, and it has significantly slowed my 2006 Macbook Pro. I want to get it off, but am confused as to what to do, since I'm not finding it as an app to click and drag off. What do I do? THANK YOU
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

This site is from 2008 but does address the Google issue.
You do not say what browser you are using but I think Chrome, next to IE the worst browser out there.
Follow it carefully, Google puts things in places it has no business putting things.
There are links for more info about this on that page.
Please let me know how you make out.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Update Ram, this is just from 2011.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want someone to walk me through this--- I am afraid of just flat out uninstalling an update--I don't know what I am uninstalling-- this was a voluntary installation.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Pam. Please tell me what version of OS X you have.
Look in the Apple menu in 'About this Mac'
graphic
You are using Chrome or a different browser?
If Chrome then it came with the undater.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.5.8

How do I know what browser I am using?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It is how you surf the web, I use Safari, some use Firefox and others Chrome.
With a web page open what is the name next to the Apple?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I use Firefox

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

That is a good browser. I am working on it.

WHat did you download? Can you tell me more about it? What is it doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not see the 2nd part of your question--there is a big space, and I have been waiting for a response from you. My apologies.

It said "share it", it has an orange square with a plus sign in it. If I click on the orange square it says share this page--with all sprts of options. A 2nd tool bar popped up on my screen, with facebook, email, all sorts of ways to share.

Also, it gives me "options" to click onwhich has scores of things that I don't know what they are: aero, among many many others.

I was able to erase the 2nd tool bar which helped with the spead a bit, but the orange square to the left of the tab box, and also within the tab box remains.

I was in google drive on a google document when up popped the ooption---do you want to additional options to share? Make sharing easier, download now. It was within google--and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. It is slowing things waaaaayyyyyy down.

Thanks you for your help

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Pam.
You are using Firefox?
graphic
It looks like that?
Quit Firefox and reopen while holding the Option key down, this puts it into Safe Mode and disables add-ons like Google share.
Do that and let me know what it does, then we can proceed to be rid of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, the orange squares are gone. What a relief. Now what?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Now, with that dialog box open, click Reset Firefox. This should get rid of it.

graphic

Then quit FF and reopen if it does not do that on its own.

Let me know.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now, with that dialog box open......what dialog box? You're talking to a neophyte

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
This one.
graphic
It appears when FF is started in SafeMode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, I did it, the page looks different, but I can work with it , and the share-it stuff is gone. Thank you for being patient with me.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Just part of the job Pam, happy to be of service.
It will stay gone unless you download it again.
Be very careful downloading things, most are nothing for something.
Let me know if you have problems with this again.
You are welcome Pam.