Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My Mac Book pro has vertial lines while booting up. This occures

My Mac Book pro has vertial lines while booting up. This occures also when trying to get to the utilities menu.
Once in the utilities menu there is a large black line down the middle that splits the screen, making it impossible to select any utilities. Is this the video memory or video driver?

lost display
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

More likely the graphics card. Part and parcel with the logic board.

An easy test is to connect it to an external monitor, if it is ok then it is the display, if it has lines it is the card.

There are a few things that may, I say, may have an effect.
An SMC reset, (I need the model to tell how), a pram reset, see below.
This page will tell how to do an SMC reset.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.
The sound should also get louder.

graphic

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

It is, I am sure, a hardware problem and will require a hands on tech to confirm, preferably an Apple store.

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dan:

I have reset the pram and the problem stills exits. There is no local Apple Store. As a CompTia A+ tech, most of my experience is with PC's.

I gather the graphics board is part of the mother board and can not be replaced separately?

That is correct, I do not know which model MBP it is and so cannot say with what difficulty it is to replace.
As they get more recent the easier they are to work on.
This should help with that.
iFixit: Do-it-yourself Apple I refer here for 'take it a part' myself, they have parts if you want them.
Important to match the logic board exactly to the model, they are not interchangeable.

Does that help? Thanks for the excellent rating.