Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have photos that seem to be too large and will not fit into the screen and so will not be able to be viewed in their entirety when Imovie plays. I I use the fit to screen feature I loose the Ken Burns effect. Is there a way to resize pics or IMovie so that they fit and still utilize the Ken Burns effect?

Thank you.

Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Yes, there is a way. Use an external editor to resize the photo.
The size you want is no bigger than 640X780 pixels and 72 dpi resolution.
I use Adobe PhotoShop Elements and/or Graphic Converter to do this.
iPhoto cannot, it does not have that capability nor does iMovie.

Create a new background in PhotoShop that is 640x780 72 DPI. Open the too large photo and use the Resize selection to size it to about the same size and resolution, drag it to the new canvas that you created. Now you can make it fit that canvas, put a border around it or do other nice things.
It will fit into iMovie without issue and flow that way you want.

This does require photo editing software to accomplish such as:

I know about this from years of doing what you are trying to do.

Hope that helps. I have a funeral to attend but will be back soon.
Both have how tos in the help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much Daniel. I don't know Photo Shop Elements very well but I have it and will give it a try.

They have (or did have) a free trial. The learning curve isn't bad either.
This is the manual for iMovie that should come with but doesn't.

The size for standard 4:3 is 640x480 (I was off on that before) and 16:9 widescreen.
Widescreen is 1920x1088, multiples of 16.
This may help explain it.
With the images the right size they will display correctly in iMovie. I chased this around a long time before I figured it out years ago.

Hope that helps a bit more.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank yo for the follow up info.

The manual you referred me to is for IMovie 9. I've got Imovie 11. Willthe basics be the same?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried your solution and reduced the image size to 640x480. when I imported back into iMovie, it was still too large for the iMovie window.

At what resolution? iMovie likes 72, 150 max, bigger than that it has issues with it.
So, when you change the size you also need to change the resolution, one without the other doesn't do much.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yup. I changed the resolution to 72. Still too big.

I'm scrapping the project - too frustrating.

I have had the same problem with the same frustration.
One more attempt please. Try the Fit selection shown in this image.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I already know about fit selection. It works but then you loose the Ken Burns effect. Using fit selection turns it into a power point presentation for all intents and purposes, other than having more control over how sound/music clips are used.

I may consider this, just disappointing.

For ease of use I use iMovie 6 HD, it is hard to find nowadays. Part of iLife 06, it was simple to use, it was the last version before what they call iMovie now.
You might have to upgrade to Final Cut to get what you want without having to choose one or the other.
The problem with FC is the learning curve, produces very nice results.
That is all I have, sorry.