Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I get the circle slash on the brand new imac with no disc drive

I get the circle slash on the brand new imac with no disc drive at all. This happened after using migration manager. Only 4 days old, what can we do?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

What model of Mac is this ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brand new 27 inch imac

Did you successfullly migrated from other Mac or does it showed any erros during the process ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It went throu the whole estimated time to complete and said it was successful. Saw no errors at all. I restarted the new one and all that came up was the circle slash and now we are here.

The Circle with slash screen indicates that the System Files are moved/replaced or got deleted from your Mac. You will have to reinstall your Mac OS X to fix this.

But before that, we can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if it works or not. First try Disk Utility.

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn in back on and immediately hold down Option key at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu. Or restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command + R keys instead of Option key.
  • This will boot your Mac to XXXXX Utilities” menu
  • Select Disk Utility.
  • In Disk Utility, Repair your disk and Repair Permission

If that didn't work, then reset the PRAM and NVRAM and also try to restart in Safe Mode.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Turn off your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode

Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Let me know if that didn't work, so we continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how can i restore if there is no disc drive

You can restore or reinstall the OS X directly from Apple's server. You don't need the Mac OS X discs to reinstall your Mac OS X. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down the Command + R keys and this will boot into Internet Recovery screen. Select Reinstall Mac OS X option in there to reinstall your OS X.
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,