Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

i cant delete files from my disk top it keep asking me about

i cant delete files from my disk top it keep asking me about the password XXXXX i hear the trash sound and it still appears on my desktop
Category: Mac
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcomed to JustAnswer.com.

My name isXXXXX will assist you with your issues.

I am sorry that you are having problem with deleting your files on Desktop. Please first reboot your Mac. Check to see if your files are still on Desktop.

If they are still on Desktop, do the following steps:

Click on Spotlight (search function top right corner).
Type Terminal and press Enter.
Enter the following line:

sudo rm -R

DO NOT press enter yet. Put a space after the -R

Then drag and drop the file from the desktop into the Terminal window. Its path and name will be added to the command.

Now press Enter. You will be prompted for your admin password.

If there was no error entering your password, Terminal will simply move to the next command line prompt, and the file should disappear from the desktop.

Do the same for all files you would like to delete.

IMPORTANT: Please remember that I am not getting credit until you rate my answer 3 rating or higher. You are rating my service, not site-issues or the outcome/nature of this question.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i still see them on my desktop

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mike. Please do a reboot and check again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

still! it asked me for a password XXXXX i hear the trash sound and the file is still on the desktop?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mike. When you enter the password XXXXX delete, was your password XXXXX?

Please try to Force Quit Finder as follow:

1. Click the Apple logo (top left corner).
  2. Select Force Quit.
  3. Select Force Quit->Finder.

When done, check the files to see if they are gone now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

same thing.... they r still there

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how can i tell

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
After you entered your password, if it does not say anything, your password XXXXX accepted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it says sudo: rm-R command not found

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Mike,

It should be rm -R (rm space -R). Please try again.

Type Terminal and press Enter.
Enter the following line:

sudo rm -R

If that does not work, do this method:

1. Open Terminal again.

Type: chflags -R nouchg

Note: Type one space (not pictured) after nouchg in the line above, so that it ends in "nouchg ". Do not press Return yet.
  2. Select all files on desktop you want to delete.
  3. Drag the files from the Trash to the Terminal window.
    Note: This automatically enters the pathname for each file. This eliminates the need to individually empty multiple Trash directories, particularly when multiple disks or volumes are present.
  4. Press Return. No special text message will be shown indicating that the command was successful.
  5. When done, drag them to Trash.
  6. Empty Trash.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

still the same thing!!!!! what do u mean by not pictured

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Mike,

What I mean is, in Terminal, type chflags -R nouchg (space after nouchg), then select the files you wanted to delete and drag them into the Terminal window. Then press Enter.

Then move them to Trash and Empty Trash. See if they will be gone. Please remember to reboot and check again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i restarted and it is still there..... can we do that over the phone?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mike.

Sorry we do not have phone support. Let me reopen your question to all experts for other suggestions. Once an expert replies, you will get email notifications from JustAnswer.com.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i think there is a link between not deleting and when i download something it downloads in the download folder even though i have put the option to download on the desktop .. maybe u know what i am saying here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

+ i cant rename anything on the desktop it says u dont have permission to do so.... i hope this will help u solving my problem

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i noticed it today .. but what i noticed as well that i can't do any changes to anything on my desktop meaning i can't even drag anything from the desktop to files.... and whatever i do it keeps asking me for a password

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It seems like the problem is User permission related. On your Mac, goto Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column. Under First Aid, click Repair Permission. Then hit Verify Disk and if it shows any errors, then click Repair Disk.

Then reset the Finder's preferences. Go to Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences folder and trash these files

com.apple.finder.plist
com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

Then restart your Mac. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we continue troubleshooting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks ashik... while the repair is on ... where can i find the macintosh hd/library/prefrences ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Macintosh HD is your hard disk. Library and Preferences are the folders inside your hard disk. Your hard disk may have another name like Mac HD, My HD, My Disk etc

You can access it from desktop or from the Finder, in left column.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i found it but didn't find the two files i found others though

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Then ignore them. Does the Repair completed ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

completed

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Now, restart your Mac in Safe Mode. To restart your Mac in Safe Mode. Turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Shift key on your Keyboard. This will boot into Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, can you use your desktop again (put files to it, delete from it etc) ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

went with the safe mode and couldn't delete anything yet as b4

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.7.5

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Since the 'user's permission' are messed up, the best option is to Reinstall your Mac OS X. Reinstalling Lion won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the system files with new one and should fix all permission issues.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command + R keys and this will boot your Mac to the Lion Recovery Screen (Mac OS X Utilities). From there, select Reinstall Mac OS X. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall.

It wil take a while to download and reinstall your OS X Lion. After reinstalling, do all software updates. Please let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i did it and was done just before i replied to u the 1st time

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Then it must be your user account that have the problem. Goto System Preferences > Users & Groups. Then create a new administrator account in there. Logout from Apple menu and login to the new account. Can you use the desktop in new account ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i did add the new account but when i logout and then back in it gave me a new desktop without my flies.. exactly like when a guest uses the mac! and by the way i noticed when i logged out and in that i am still on the safe mode

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
New account should be blank, we need to test whether the problem is with your system files or with the user account. On the new account, just try to create any file on the desktop. Does it act like the old account ?

Also, just restart your Mac to normal mode. No need to hold down the Shift key while restarting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it acts normal i added a file and deleted it all normal in the new acount

but the main account remains the same

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay..lost the internet connection here. The problem is with your main user account. Logint to your main account. Download and install this utility, Onyx from here : http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

Open it and run all maintenances with it. Let me know once you did that.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to ask. Do you have this problem with the desktop only or with all places in your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i only have macbook pro.. by the way the problem appeared only today i think after i added a password XXXXX night! ... anyhow i dl the onyx then?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Open Onyx. In Onyx, click on Maintenance tab. Select Rebuild tab, check all boxes and then Execute. The under Cleaning select System and User and check all boxes on both and Execute. When it finished, restart your Mac.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

done and still the same problem!!!!!

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Goto Macintosh HD > Users > your home folder. In there, right click on the Desktop folder and select Get Info. What can you see in the bottom, under Permssion ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i can only read

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
There, that is the problem. Somehow your Mac is set the permission to Read only for you. Open Terminal application and run the following command :

sudo chflags 0 ~/Desktop

Press return after typing the above command. Any errors ?

If that didn't work, download this Utility : http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31741/permissions-reset

Set correct permission for your account and then click Set.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sudo chflag command not found

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It is chflags, not chflag. Please try again and also try the Utility I sent you
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i did the terminal no error + i dl the utility but didn't know how to set it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

finally man .... u r the best....... how can i prevent this from happening again!

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad that worked for you. This is a rare problem. There is no way to prevent it, but you can always fix it. If it happens again, just note down the solutions above and try them. Also backup the Utilities I sent you, they are very useful tools. Run Onyx every month to keep your Mac clean.

Please let me if you have any questions.

Best Regards,