John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
53785

microsoft office will not open. I get the following message

Customer Question

microsoft office will not open. I get the following message when trying to open word or excel
Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_CRASH (SIGTRAP)
Date/Time: 2013-02-13 20:19:45 +0000
Application Name: Microsoft Excel
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Excel
Application Signature: XCEL
Application Version: 14.1.0.110310
Crashed Module Name: merp
Crashed Module Version: 2.2.4.110310
Crashed Module Offset: 0x00003c2a
Blame Module Name: MicrosoftComponentPlugin
Blame Module Version: 14.1.0.110310
Blame Module Offset: 0x00010221
Application LCID: 1033
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409
Crashed thread: 0
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Greetings,

Thank you for your question and your time today.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Did this problem begin before or after you installed the update to Office 2011?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

before

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the update.

I see that you have attempted to fix this by doing many things.

May I please, start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

AFTER YOU CLICK THE LINK BELOW, you can continue.

Instructions for running the remote application:
- If you are using Internet Explorer, choose to RUN the application.
- If you are using Firefox or Safari, please, open the Downloads window and double click the Elsinore... application. (FIREFOX: In the top menu bar, click TOOLS > DOWNLOADS) (SAFARI: In the top menu bar, click Window > Downloads
- If you are using Google Chrome, please, click the Elsinore... button on the bottom left of your screen after it downloads.

Please, click the following link and allow the remote app to run: http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=5c35dd03-ded5-4d82-b1d6-eb8e64fac2fd&SUPPORT=NET

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you having any problems with running that remote application after it is downloaded?

Which Internet browser are you currently using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or something of the like)?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The remote link has expired.

I will be away from the computer for 1 hour.

Please, let me know when you are ready for the remote link.

Just in case another expert wants to help while I am gone, I will opt out. If nobody has jumped in when I return, I will continue with you.

Thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.7.5

2.4 ghz

4gb

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

My normal hours are from 2am-5:30pm (PST).

You have the choice to continue working with the last expert or with me.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I verified the disk. There were some errors that I repaired. However, the problem still exists.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If you can open Word go to Help / Check for Updates
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't open any program in office. Right now if I try to open a word or excel file I get : Word has encountered a problem and needs to close....

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok you said this is Office 2011 right? Go here and download the uninstaller script. Then run it and reinstall office after. Try opening Word and if it opens go to Help / Check for Updates. Let me know

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am another expert on this site and I think you should try the following if the above solutions offered by Mike has not resolve the issue

First I would suggest that you create a new user account as this issue is known to occur when there is corruption in your user profile. After creating the new account reboot and login directly to the new account and start Word/Excel from there

If you still have a problem you can follow the suggestions given in this Microsoft Support page

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2693802

Hope this helps.

Thank you for remembering to rate the answer if you found it helpful

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did the uninstall work or was it the following suggestion from John D the other expert? I never heard back so I am not sure. Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The uninstall itself did not work and I could not figure out making a new user account. I ended up using info from the microsoft support site and had to manually delete preferences in the library that were not removed with the uninstall. After that it worked.

Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

Yeah that was why I did not suggest the uninstall option and asked you to try the user account instead. Anyway glad that deleting the preferences did the work.

Please feel free to get back to me if you have any questions

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The uninstaller script should have removed those too.