Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a Macpro with Mountain Lion. I was setting up the apple

Customer Question

I have a Macpro with Mountain Lion. I was setting up the apple mail, with several accounts for myself/wife/etc . At one point it looked like it autofilled the outgoing server and I was not able send with this account (although it received the mail fine).
I then set up an account with all the same information but a slightly different account name. Since then I've been able to fix the original email account, but when I try to change preferences for this account I get "The account path /Users/owner/Library/Mail?V2/XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX is already being used by the account "MBlair55 new".

I have tried everything to delete the MBair55 new account but it still persists. Help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Mail can be a pain but I like it anyway. I have several accounts with different providers and have seen this before.
This may help straighten this out.

Mail repair

Or this.

Repairing SMTP

Should those prove fruitless please let me know.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try some of these later. I'm informed that dinner is ready so I'll have to get back to my Macintosh problems later. Hopefully the links you provided will help.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Go and eat, 9 out of 10 doctors recommend it, the tenth is still doing research.
Please keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The .pdf you sent showed how to delete the "extra" account I had by selecting the account and clicking on the "-" at the bottom. I had been to this page but didn't connect the "-" at the bottom. Thanks, that seems to have worked.

As I set up the "Just Answer" for 30 days for $68 I'll probably be having more questions.

Background: I have an old desktop G4 933 MHz machine that I've had for 10 years. I recently bought a refurbished MacPro 2.8 GHz quad core that I'm moving things over to. I did a complete backup to an external drive.

Right now I'm working on Mail which I primarily have downloaded over the years since I didn't want to lose things as I changed providers. I spoke with the tech at the local MacMall and he said that exporting mail from my old system (Tiger 10.4) would not be compatible with importing into Mountain Lion on the new MacPro. He did say that once Mail was set up on the new machine, I may be able to go into the user > owner > Library > Mail and drag messages from the backup into the new folders I've created in the new Mail. He also showed me how to "see" the library - although I forget the keyboard keys to hit.

I if you can lead me through the steps to move my mail folders from the external backup to my personal folders "On my Mac" I'd appreciate it.

The only other way I can figure out how to do this is to send them to myself from the old machine (1000s of emails)

Thanks

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
He was refring to the user library on the new Mac with 10.8.x. This is done by pressing the Option key and clicking on Go in the menu bar.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Without Option, no Library, with, well you get the idea.
None of this is necessary on OS Xs before 10.7, those user Library is visible in your home folder (the one with the house).
Like this.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

I hope I am not being too simplistic, I just want to be clear.
Another option is to change the format into rtf that Textedit can open along with many other apps.
Does that help at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'm trying to find out from just answer.com how things work. I'm trying to get it set up for a one month subscription ($68/month on the website). It sounds like experts such as yourself get paid from this and then there is a tip(?) option when we rate you. I will have several questions as I set up this new Mac, but I'm just not sure how the finances are handled - and I have to be somewhat cautions as I initially thought that for $68 I had unlimited questions and answers for a month on the subject of "Mac" (I'm starting to think this may not be the case).

In any case, hopefully I can pull mail messages from my folder "Saved humour" from the backup of my old mail machine and put the messages into the folder I created "Saved humour" on the new mail on the new machine.

Thanks,

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
This may be of help in figuring JA out.
There is a phone number to call if the answer is not there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, I sent them an email. Hopefully I'll find out more before I go bankrupt or waste too much of your time.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It is never a waste of time Mike, learning is never that. Please keep me posted.