Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  10+ years in hardware/software experience
8287049

Traveling...mini iPad ...cant find.... Can you locate it for

Traveling...mini iPad ...can't find.... Can you locate it for me...shut it diwn.?
Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for the question. Do you know if you have "Find my iPad" installed on the device before it was lost?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Then you should be able to log on to www.iCloud.com to locate the device and lock it or erase the data on it. Once logged in to www.iCloud.com, just click "Find my iPad", and it should give you the options once you click on the device.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Screen comes up saying : install iCloud

I don't understand I've been using iCloud on the MiniPad
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for not mentioning this in my last post, but you need to log in to www.iCloud.com from a PC or Mac in order to see the options to locate or reset the device.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ICloud is up & running... How do I locate iPad?
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Once you are logged in to iCloud, you should see a button on the page that says "Find my iPhone". I've attached a screenshot below. Once you click that button, it should locate the device and show a green dot. Click the green dot, and select the blue "Info" button (i). From there, you can click "Erase iPad" or set it to "Lost Mode", from which you can lock the device with a passcode so no one can access your data and display a phone number on the screen if you want whoever finds it to call you.

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do u sign into iCloud?
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Once you go to www.iCloud.com from your PC or Mac, it asks you to log in with your Apple ID. If you log in with the Apple ID that was associated with your iPad, you should be able to locate it and perform those steps if "Find My iPad" was installed on your iPad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went into: Settings then into: XXXXX XXXXX then turned on: Find my iPad...
Did not know we had to have an 'app' for this...

Installing app now..... It's locating...still locating....

Any tips on what to do when it's located?

Message to be displayed on mini-pad:
Please call .... $100 reward.....

Is this a good thing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I lock my mini so no one can access it?

Do I need to change passwords?
I don't have a log on for the. Mini... Like a security code to
'Open' the screens... Do they even have logins like Laptop/computers?
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can create a login by going to Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock

As for locating one that you lost, you'd have need to installed the app before losing it, but nothing wrong with offering a reward if someone does find it and is willing to return it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What r the odds I'll get it back?

How do I protect my info?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 - what options do I have if someone has already accessed the mini & they turned off the location service... Can someone else actually turn off The location service?

2 - what usually happens when someone steals an iPad?
........what kind of grief can they cause... Like a lamb to the slaughter...
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
If someone has already turned off the location service, you should just change all your passwords. This includes your Apple ID and any email account passwords that are set up on the iPad. This way, no one can download apps or use your email. If you had no passcode lock, someone could easily turn off location services and reset the device with their own Apple ID.

As for if someone steals the iPad, they can read any messages stored on the iPad (ie - iMessages, emails) and download apps with your account which can ring up a credit card bill you wont want to pay. But changing the passwords as recommended above should make the reduce the impact significantly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I password XXXXX my:
1- mail box/ iCloud...
2- sign on to the iPad ?
3- sign on to contacts?
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
You can protect all of those things by setting a Passcode under Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Passcode set, thank you...

What else can I do?

How can I protect myself? My info?
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
That's all that should be required. You'll notice now that you need to enter the Passcode after locking your iPad for at least 5 minutes. In the event you lose it, no one can access any of your data. They would need to do a full reset of the device before they could use it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is also the case on the mini the one that's missing?
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 1 year ago.
The Passcode must be set manually by you before it is lost or remotely using iCloud if you had the "find my" app installed first.
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience: 10+ years in hardware/software experience