Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi Ashik, since trying to install mountain lion my mac mini

Hi Ashik, since trying to install mountain lion my mac mini has the grey screen. I can get as far as OS X utilities but when I try to reinstall It tells me the disk is locked and I can't proceed any further
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

Could you please give me the hardware specs of your Mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mac Mini 4gb memory 320 gb HD Snow leopard was installed and the problem commenced whilst carry out mountain lion upgrade

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the backup of your files ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

noFrown

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Are you on the Mac OS X Utilities screen now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
In there, open Disk Utility. Then select your hard disk and Repair Disk. Then Repair Permission. Any changes ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

repair disk is not available... only verify disk or verify disk permissions. repair disk is greyed out

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Repair Permission first. Then Verify Disk, then Repair Disk will be available.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

First we can boot into Safe Mode and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Shift key on your Keyboard. Keep it held down (max of 5 minutes) and it will boot into Safe Mode

If that didn't work, then we can try Disk Utility.

Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. This will boot your Mac into Single User Mode. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk - fy

Or type fsck_hfs -fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up.

Please let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi ran verify disk permissions which brought up lots of error 5 messages, then ran verify disk, then ran repair disk and got message: error disk utility cannot repair this disk. Then disk utility window opened and message said: reformat disk

Shall I follow your last instructions re booting up in safe mode or should I skip that and boot into single user mode and type in the commands you gave me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I was told I would get a response in 15 minutes, it has been an hour now and still no response. My initial contact with Asik was good
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi I can help you but the news is not good unfortunately. If the Disk Utility cannot repair the disk you have two options: if you have a current backup, which I see you don't, you can erase the hard drive and reinstall the system then restore from backup. Since you do not have a backup you can try third party startup disk like Disk Warrior to try and repair the drive which can many times repair a drive that Disk Utility cannot. Otherwise you can only erase the drive and install a clean system but you will lose your files. I suggest you restart to Recovery HD and try the Repair Disk one more time before you decide. We may be able to boot to Target Disk mode and use another Mac to try and get what files we can off the drive first. Let me know.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Sorry for the delay. Lost my connection with you. It seems like the partition of your hard drive is corrupted. Yes, try Safe Mode and also run those commands.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Ashik, but after no response for 7.5hrs I decided to erase and do a clean reinstall from my original Snow Leopard disk. I did lose all my data as I knew I would.

Thank you for your initial help, which unfortunately was unable to solve the problem

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry about that and I apologize. I had to go offline since I lost my connection and couldn't get back to you on time. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Take Care,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Do you need more help ? The Poor Service rating you left me will badly affect my job here. Could you please change it to OK Rating and I will request JustAnswer to refund your account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I do that? If you can guarantee I will be refunded it's not a problem, I know you tried. Thanks.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Of course you can get refund. That is how this site works. If you are not satisfied, you can always go for refund.

You can contact Cutomer Service's email at support@justanswer.com for refund and I will also request refund for you.

I'm posting this as Answer, so you can rate it as OK.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I will do that. Thanks for your time.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I've requested refund for you. Thanks.

Take Care,