Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Mac Pro - spinning wheel - can not get past that to start the

Mac Pro - spinning wheel - can not get past that to start the computer. It's possible there's a disc in one of the bays - can't tell.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

I can only suggest some things that will go a long way to helping.
First is repairing permissions.

Repairing Permissions

Second is a pram reset.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

The sound should also get louder.

graphic

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.

Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

It can take many try to get it, any USB keyboard is preferable.

Substitute the Control key for the Command key, Alt for Option, all others stay the same.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.

Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.

It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.

When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.

Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.

Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.

If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Last but by no means least is Disk Warrior.

DiskWarrior 4

The next thing I can say is you could very well have a failing boot drive.

I assume that you have all this backed up.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've been through the log on - put in the password XXXXX spinning wheel - now just a blank screen since you typed your message to me. I will try what you described. My keyboard is not wireless. I knew I had an i mac next to it for a reason.

will you be on for a little while?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Until 11 EST then I am off. I will be on tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well now I"m just trying to log on. I KNOW i have the correct password XXXXX yet it kicks me back to asking each time.... thoughts?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, do you have install disks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i'm sure I do- just locating them will be interesting.... any way without the install discs?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Yes but not as though.

Try this.

1. Reboot/Startup holding your Command-S key down.

2. At the command line type the following and hit 'Return.'

/sbin/fsck -fy (space between the k and the -)

3. If it finds a problem and repairs it, immediately run fsck again until the drive checks OK.

4. After it has check/repaired your disk, type 'reboot' and hit 'Return' again.

If that fails then see below.

To boot from the installation disc and the Mac is on then start at step #1.
If your Mac is off or will not boot from the hard drive then goto step #3.
1. Insert disc #1, it can be the original that came with your Mac or it can be a retail version newer than the original that came with the Mac.
2. If the disc opens then click on the Install OS X icon, if it does not automatically open then double click the disk icon on the desk top and then click Install OS X.
Your Mac will restart using the install disk.
3. If your Mac is on but will not boot up then insert the installation disk and turn it off by pressing and holding the power until it shuts down.
Now press the power to start it and hold the 'Option' key until the startup manager appears.
If your Mac is off then press the power to start it up, immediately press and hold the 'Option' key for the startup manager.
Insert the disc and click the circle with the arrow to refresh and then select the installation disc to boot from.
Once your Mac is booted from the installation disk the next step is to open Disk Utility.
Click continue at the Language screen, the next screen will be the Welcome to OS X.
At the very top of the screen will be a menubar with 'Utilities', from that drop-down menu select 'Disk Utility'.
There will be a list of hard drives and optical drives on the left of the window, if your drive is in that list then click on it once to highlight.
Now click on the First Aid tab, at the bottom of the Disk Utility window you will see a button called Repair Disk.
Select that by clicking on it. It will either return that everything is okay or that some things were wrong and they were repaired or it found something wrong and it can do nothing about it.
If everything checks out okay or if it does the repairs you then want to repair the permissions.
There will be a button close to the list of drives that says Repair Permissions. Click that to selected and give it time.
There may be a long list of permissions that repairs or there may be only a few.
There will also be some that say SUID that will not be repaired if you have 10.5 or above.
Once you have completed this then you can quit Disk Utility and the installer.
Do Not Install Anything.
Simply restart your machine by selecting it from the menu bar.
This will tell us a lot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do I get the drive bay door open?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Restart and hold the eject key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

door is open, i have the install disc and admin tool disc - I'll put in the install disc

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Just follow my instructions and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do I need to start by turning it off and on? I put it in, it spun, normal noise - and now silence and the same screen asking for the password.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Restart using the Disk Boot instructions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have 3 options on the screen; Mac Server HD, Recovery 10.8 and the Disc Mac Os X server Install disc.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I would suggest either the Recovery 10.8 or the Server, I do not know which you have running on the Pro.
Pick the one that matches. I also suggest making sure erase and install is NOT selected. Defauly is a new OS and nothing more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just tried the server option - log on did not work - again. so, I'll go through the process again and pick recovery - yes?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, use the recovery part. Use the Disk Utility.
graphic
Then.

graphic
Do Not Install Anything.

You may want to reinstall the OS X but not quite yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't want to make a mistake here;

My screen now shows:

Disc Utility

On the left:

hard drive image - In RED the following: 2TB WDC WD2001FAS

Slightly indented: Mac Server HD

Disc image:

Slightly indented: Mac OS X Server Installation

then a solid line - below the line.

Disk 1

Hard drive image in orange: Mac OS Base System

Disc image: Mac OS X Server Install disc

HD image: 2 TB WDC WD 2001FAS (in black)

HD image: 2 TD WDC 2001fas

David's Photos 1

HD image: 2 TB WDC WD 2001Fass

David's photos 2

HD disc image: 2 TB WDC WD2001FAS (IN RED)

Disc image: Disk16s2

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
The top two are actually the same drive, this holds true for all, one hard against the edge and one indented.
The top one is what you want as it is the root.
The only harm you can do at this point is to erase a drive, stay away from formatting or erasing.
Do only the Repair of the hard drive and permissions.
Let me know what results, it will say repairs were made or repairs cannot be made.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

message: This drive has a hardward problem that can't be repaired: Back up as much of the data as possible and replace the disc. See andd authorized apple dealer for more information.

These are not old drives...

I don't think other then start up there's much on this - my photos are on others.... which is where I'm desperate for access to work on.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Age has nothing to do with it, I have had drives right out of the box fail and I have drives that are 15 years old going strong.
You now have two choices, erase the drive and hope that fixes the problem (sometimes it will make it useable for a time) or replace it with a new one.
If it has little of anything important then try erase and install. If there are things you want then leave it and replace it or install OS X on another drive, even an external will work.

Take your time and read everything at each step and you will be fine.
This is where I buy mine.

Office Max has drives as does Best Buy. You want a SATA drive.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your help and advice. Unfortunatly I"m leaving the country this weekend for 10 days and had a project I was in the middle of due before leaving...... It will be fine.... many thanks - enjoy the rest of your evening and be well.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I can do nothing about hardware,
Have a good trip David and I hope you get to finish the project.
I do some side stuff with photos myself.