Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

An update to my iPhoto from the App Store was interrupted because

Customer Question

An update to my iPhoto from the App Store was interrupted because of an error. Now I can't open iPhoto or move the updates from that error status. What can I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

I also have two Apple IDs and it can get confusing.

To address your problem the first thing I suggest is to restart your Mac.
If that does not clear the fault then please tell me which version of OS X you have and which Mac you have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have an iMac 2009, OSX 10.8.2

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Can I assume that a restart did nothing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has had no effect. When I try to update apps on App store, a box descends and says I have updates on one of the apple IDs and I must sign in. when I sign in on that ID and then try to update, it tells me to update on the other ID. It's a circular process that results in no updates.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok Dorothy, quit iPhoto if open and reopen with the Command and Option keys pressed.
That will give you this.
graphic
Check all the boxes and click Rebuild, then wait. It may take a little or a long time depending.

Let me know please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I try to open with (or without) the Command and Option keys pressed, I get a message that says I can't open iPhoto because it is being updated. But the update has been paused and i can't get it to continue or stop.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, time to get drastic. Quit iPhoto if open. Now go to Applications and drag iPhoto to the trash (do not yet empty the trash).
Now restart your Mac.

Now go to the App store and in your account find purchased and re-download iPhoto and install it.
This will do two things, give you an updated iPhoto and fix this problem.
Your iPhoto library will stay intact so do not worry about that.

Let me know.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It worked! Thanks so much.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Happy to be of service, you are welcome.