Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have just upgraded my MacBook Air to OS X 10.8.2, Bootcamp

I have just upgraded my MacBook Air to OS X 10.8.2, Bootcamp 5.0.1 and Powerpoint to 14.3.0. My presentations are freezing. Is there an incompatibility here?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hello David, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Did you prepare for the upgrade before doing it?
It is most likely not an incompatibility as it is all current software. One thing though, are you running in Windows or OS X?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan, No I didnt do any prearation for the upgrade. These were automatic upgrades that the App Store suggested for IOS and that S/W updates suggested for Microsoft S/w. I am running OS X. I am guessing that Bootcamp may have been updated.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
You mentioned BootCamp and that is why I asked about Windows.

I suggest doing some TLC that should straighten things out. This PDF explains about Permissions, something that should be done for every Apple software update/upgrade.

Repairing Permissions

Doing so now will help a lot.

Next is a pram reset.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

The sound should also get louder.

graphic

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Then, just because it helps, a SafeBoot.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.

Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.

It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.

When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.

Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.

Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.

If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Make sure to give it a few minutes to finish (a good 5) then restart normally.

Now try a PowerPoint and see what happens and let me know please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Daniel,

I have followed the three steps.

I tried to recreate the problem during the safe boot and succeeded.

I then went to normal and I still have the problem i.e. the slide show 'freezing' at a random point

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That tells me you have some corruption in the system.
I suggest running the OS X update again.
OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Supplemental Update 2.0 from there. It is a stand alone and will fix problem files.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I get a message saying this is not supported on my system when I go to execute. Do I ignore?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Try this one, it is a little different.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I go to install this I am told that "this update for OS X cannot be installed on this disk. It does not meet the requirements of this update".

Could this be because it is already installed?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That tells me that it needs this update or you need to reinstall 10.8 and update again.
To do this restart with the Command and R keys pressed. This goes to the recovery disk.
Chances are you won't have a recovery disk on you hard drive so it will require a network connection. It will also take quite a bit of time for all this to happen.

This is the next course of action to get this fixed.
Again, this will have no effect on your data unless you choose Erase and install.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I now have 10.8.2 installed. Problem is still there i.e. powerpoint slides freezing intermitantly. I can exit the slide presentation, but not move to the next slide.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
How much RAM do you have in the MBA?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have 4GB

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Is this on the built-in screen or on an external?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Built-in screen

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
One suggestion is to recreate the presentation, a lot of work I know but the consensus is that some or many of the files or slides are corrupted. Not enough to crash but to halt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have powerpoint slides that were working before the upgrade, and freeze now. That is why I think the software is the problem.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
You are correct in thinking that, the update changed the way the software worked thus causing the problem.
Often, not always, the new version will tell you it needs to update the file you are opening to work with the newer version of software.
Because this is Microsoft that does not always happen.
One suggestion I can make is to get Keynote from the App store. It is a $20.00 app, gets great reviews (except for a very few) and handles Powerpoint without a hiccup.

I think that you have three choices.
One, uninstall all of Microsoft Office and reinstall. This will do no harm to your Powerpoint data.
Two, rebuild the presentation using the updated Powerpoint software.
Three, buy Keynote, there was a free trial but I think that has been discontinued.

One other possibility is to save it to an external (the presentation) and try it on a different machine. This will narrow it down to whether it is the new Powerpoint or something else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Daniel,

I have discovered that Powerpoint isnt freezing, it is not responding to my remote control (IR MIRA) or the down arrows to advance a slide. It does respond to the right button on the trackpad.

I know the remote is working as I can adjust the volume with the remote.

I know powerpoint is working because the right button on the trackpad.

This suggests that MIRA is the problem. I found a later version and have installed but the problem is still there.

Any thoughts?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I do know that I am just now getting info that may have helped earlier.
Are there any other details that you have not shared with me?
If you are using Powerpoint running in OS X then that could be the problem. Powerpoint is Microsoft and Windows primarily.
They have left some functions out because that is what they like to do.
Just because an app can run on both Mac and Windows does not mean they will behave the same.
That said.
Look in Properties for Powerpoint and see if there is something that is not configured correctly for remote control.
I suggest (if you have one) an iPhone or iPod Touch or even an iPad to use as a remote.
The MacBook Air has no IR recover (stupid for Apple to do this) but it does have Bluetooth.
This will allow more control over more things and may solve your problem
Apple has gotten ahead of themselves and have done some strange things, this is one of them. I have always had Macs (since 1989) but I have bought my last one in 2010 because of these kind of issues.
I can offer n more as I am out of ideas. Sorry.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.