Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

How to restore iCal (v 4.0.4) calendars & appointments without Time Machine. I have Mac Pro running OS 10.6.8.

Hello Gary, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

I am assuming that you do not have a Time Machine backup?
I suggest looking in your home folder/Library/Calendars, you will see (or should) a bunch of folders begging with a bunch of numbers. click on each in turn and then on each enclosed folder, there you will see events in ics form.
Like the above, it may be a time consuming task but unless you deleted those you should be able to find what you want.
Each will have a name of what event it is and by double clicking it will open iCal to that date and time.
Try that and let me know.