Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience
27955634

Have a Sanddisk Ultra II - 4 GB full of photos which was

Have a Sanddisk Ultra II - 4 GB full of photos which was able to be viewed both on camera and Mac initially. I took additional photos and now the disc will not open on either my camera or computer and will not even show it's Icon when inserted on the computer. original error message read - "disk is locked" but it was not locked. what to do - am in crisis mode.

Jesse :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Jesse :

Try opening Disk Utility (located in your Applications->Utilities folder), and see if the drive is listed on the left side of the window.

Customer:

It does not show up anywhere

Jesse :

Okay, do you have another computer you can connect it to?

Customer:

I've tried that too and nothing shows up

Jesse :

Are you connecting the drive through an adapter, or directly to the computer?

Customer:

directly to the computer. Have tried both the usb from the camera and the memory card slot on side of computer and its as though the disc does not exist. It worked fine when I took the first batch of photos and developed this problem after the last photo was taken and the "disk full" message appeared.

Jesse :

Try inserting the card almost all the way, just before you feel it stop, but not all the way in. Let it sit for a moment and see if it shows up.

Customer:

nothing happens -(tried moving it in by increments as well)

Jesse :

When you opened it in Disk Utility, did you see anything on the left under your hard drive, even if it was greyed out and not selectable?

Customer:

it doesn't indicate that it is there

Jesse :

Okay, then it looks like the card has become corrupted. You can try using a tool like Disk Drill (get it here), while the card is connected, to try and reformat it.

Customer:

which means there is no way of recovering the info ???

Jesse :

At this point, there's no way to know. It's possible the data is corrupted and gone. However, if you can get the card to mount using the tool above, you might be able to recover the files.

Customer:

Thanks so much Jesse - You have been a great help. Will try the tool. Have a good day