Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hello. Im trying to compress my .MOV file to 50mb or less

Customer Question

Hello. I'm trying to compress my .MOV file to 50mb or less to upload to a server who has a restriction on uploads of 50mb or less. I can't figure out the settings on compressor to covert my file to this size. Can you tell me what settings and how? Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

What is the current size and duration of the current MOV file ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

101.3mb 11:10 is the time.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Your Video is in already a decent size for the time. The only way to compress the file size without affecting the quality is, Compress it to zip format. To compress the file, right click or control + click on the MOV file and select Compress filename option from the popup menu. Or select the file, click on Finder menu and select Compress filename. The file will be compressed a put to a ZIP folder in there. Check the size of the zip file

(ZIP folder is the universal file format, which will be supported on all computers)

Or you can convert the video to different format by lowering quality to decrease the size. You probably don't want to the quality to be affected. Right ? Let me know if it doesn't matter and I will help you to convert to different format by lowering quality.

If you are trying to send the file, then you can use different servers like www.mediafire.com

The other way is, split the video to multiple parts. Let me know if you want to do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to make the file 50mb or less to load on a particular server which will not accept a file over 50mb. What settings on Compressor (under custom settings for .mov) is this possible. A zip file is too large.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you created this video from FCP ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Also, do you want the movie to be in MOV format ? or does other format like FLV, MP4 etc work for you ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes fcp and it can be in MOV or MP4 - we can't get it smaller than it's current size.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Open FCP, select the video, click on File menu and select Export > Using Quicktime Conversion. From the Save window, click Options button. Under Video, click Settings. Under Compression type, click MPEG-4 Video

Under Compressor (Quality), select Medium and click OK and save it. If that didn't work, move the slider to left (lower) and then try again. Please let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is FCPX and it only has compressor setting under file - we set it to 'least' and it still came out to 101mb - isn't there a setting under 'custom' on compressor that accomplish this?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ahh. Actaully, for 11 minutes 101 MB is normal. But we can try different settings and see if it works or not.

Yes, there are many settings under Custom. In compressor, select Custom. Click the + sign and select Quicktime.
graphic
Click the Settings button for Video and this will bring the settings window. Under Compression type, select MPEG-4, then change quality to lower. Save it. Did that work ?
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is how we got the file to 101mb - :)

Isn't there a setting at this point for the compression type, the frame rate or key frames, etc that can get the file smaller?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Not any I'm aware of. The only compression setting is the Quality settings. Changing the frame rates will mess up your video. Can't you split the video into two parts ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Idk if that's allowed - thanks anyway for trying. It's a mystery.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Will flv (Flash Video) format work for you ? That should compress the file