Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

how do I prevent the text moving and my chapters moving every

how do I prevent the text moving and my chapters moving every time I open up Pages to work on it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 1 year ago.

Jesse :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Jesse :

Just to clarify, when you open pages after saving and closing a document, the text will shift to different positions?

Customer:

yes thats right

Jesse :

Have you tried copying the contents of the document, and pasting them into a new pages document?

Customer:

i am writing a book and the chapters and text move when I re open the book to work on

Customer:

there is 40 pages now

Jesse :

Okay, does that mean you haven't tried copying and pasting? You can use the Select All command to get it all at once.

Customer:

didn't see any reason to do it. That would not be part of the program

Customer:

have art work and photo that don't move when I try to copy and paste

Jesse :

Unfortunately, Pages doesn't do well with long documents, and errors like this become common. I recommend using either a specific book writing program (like Scrivener or Microsoft Word).

Jesse :

But before that, your best bet is to copy and paste the next, then move over anything that doesn't go manually.

Customer:

I exported it to word and I was running in to the same problem of the text moving when reopened

Jesse :

Exactly, there is a corruption in the document, and it will need to be recreated.

Customer:

Why would coping and pasteingh it again make any difference?

Customer:

How do I re create it , just copy and pasting the same doc to a different place dosen't make sense why it would work

Jesse :

A pages document isn't just text, it's basically a folder with various items that looks like a document. If there's a corruption, like you have, then by copying and pasting the text (which is clean) into a new document, you get a fresh start.

Customer:

I don't know how to set the page breaks so the chapter heading stay the same and do not move

Customer:

What if this doesn't work when I try?

Jesse :

You won't have lost anything by copying and pasting. If it doesn't work we'll try something else.

Customer:

I have been on the computer all day and I am burt out.

Customer:

I am not even going to try this until I have time tomorrow when I have time.

Customer:

How to we do this from here.

Jesse :

That's fine. Just come back to this conversation, either by making a bookmark to it, or following the link in your email.

Customer:

Thanks Jesse, see you tomorrow hopefully with good news.

Customer:

good night

Jesse :

Sounds good.

Customer:

When I tried to copy and paste on to a new doc, the text did not respond to simple commands

Customer:

Things I typed moved again and this is page 2

Customer:

They didn't say I couldn't write with it when I bought pages.

Customer:

I have had nothing but trouble and now I can't enven copy and paste to word without it f**king up

Jesse :

Sorry for the delay.

Jesse :

I'm sorry for your frustration, I can sympathize. Pages either works great, or is a terrible experience for most people. If you save it as a word document, can you copy the text out of it and paste it into a new word document?

Customer:

If I can't get commands to work when I copied and pasted on to a new doc. doesn't that mean there is still corruption

Customer:

So if I paste it on to word why wouldn't be corrupt?

Jesse :

Because Word processes Documents much differently, it's worth a shot to save your text.

Customer:

I can save the text but it doesn't respond so I can't edit it.

Jesse :

So you can copy it, but it won't paste into anything else?

Customer:

It will paste but not respond to commands without doing weird things

Customer:

When I cop and paste it skips pages and put the text on the wrong page

Jesse :

Okay, I'm going to opt out so another expert can assist you.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away with your Mac issue, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please keep looking.

Ralph

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ralph

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Lindie
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.7.5

2.4 GHz

4GB 667 MHz

Now I have to go to work. I will be back later.

Thank You

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did what you said on my lunch break but now I am going to work again.Talk later Thank you

Ralph

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions?
Let me know when you get back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes thats right.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
ok

Go here and download Maintenance for your system version, install it, run it and follow directions then check all boxes and Execute. Restart.

I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadmaintenance.php

____
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

why is this necessary?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It will clear some caches like the font cache which may be causing the fonts to display incorrectly and thus look different when you reopen the document.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know a lot about computers so it makes me nervous when I read what I have to do to solve a problem on a pages which I was told wasn't good for writing a book after all. I don't want to do something wrong to the computer trying to get pages to perform.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I never told you it was not good to write a book, it depends on what kind of book. If it has a lot of graphics and pictures then you need something like that. But like any program if you don’t know how to use it can be very frustrating and now you say you are not even good with computers. If you don’t feel you know the program well enough that could be a big part of the problem. I suggest you go over the tutorials here and then after you can send me the file and I can see exactly what is happening and what you expect it to do or not do. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was the other tech that told me it wasn't good for books.

My book has pictures and prints as well as text.

I checked the tutorials already and couldn't find the answer there that is why I went online in the first place.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok can you send me the file?

Go here with any web browser:

http://tinyurl.com/mikemacmedic

Choose Select Files and navigate to your file(s) to upload or you can also just drag the file(s) to the Upload box, then click on Start Uploading Files or Cancel. When it asks for a description put in your justanswer.com or pearl.com username. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Iam sorry, I have to have a root cancel and it is had for me to concentrate

right now. I have to go to the dennist tomorrow. I have to get back to you later. Thank You

Ralph

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok no problem it is late here too. Come back when ready.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.