Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Im having trouble connecting my new Mac OSX 10.7.5 to the

Customer Question

I'm having trouble connecting my new Mac OSX 10.7.5 to the network's Microsoft Outlook 2007. No one here has a Mac but me and no one is willing to help me get rid of Crossover - the bandaid that's been helping get my Outlook. I can't drag and drop anything (it doesn't allow that) and I'm wasting so much time navigating to files... I need help. I have my iPhone connected to the Exchange server, and it works just fine. I don't know why I wouldn't be able to do the same thing when it's hard-wired in. Any advice would be appreciated!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Part of the problem is you have a more advanced OS than Microsoft 2007 likes.
Plus Crossover is not what I consider a good way to interact with Windows, (I like Parallels myself, when I have occasion).

To use your Mac with Exchange use Mac Mail, it works just fine.
This goes step by step to do it.
Get those ducks in a row and this assistant will do it for you. By that I mean your AD (user name) and password

That means you can be rid of Crossover if you like.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

(I'm Kim, by the way!)

I just went through the step-by-step instructions provided in the first link. Here is the error message I get (mind you, Crossover is still working, so there is definitely not a problem with the server...):

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “Kim at Work” or try again.

The server returned the error: The operation couldn’t be completed. (MFEWSErrorDomain error 56.)

Any ideas? I've been trying to connect my Mac Mail application to Outlook with no luck for about 3 months now. I've been working on it here and there as I have time and have searched online forums for answers. Nothing has worked yet... So frustrating...

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
One thing that should help is upgrading to Mountain Lion in the App store, irons out many issues.

This might help. On the Exchange server/start Active Directory Users & Computers/properties of your account/Exchange Features.
Make sure 'User-initiated sync=enabled'

If you have that account in Mail, delete it and recreate it with the assistant.
OS X Lion was designed with Exchange in maenad, Mountain Lion fixes what was missed in Lion.
Make sure you back up and repair permissions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

I'm attempting to download Mountain Lion as we speak. A bit tricky here with City government... I'm having to pay for all this stuff out of my own pocket (and create my own Apple ID)...but if I can get this to work, it will be priceless.

I leave at 5 (PST), so I will have to respond tomorrow with an update to see if things work.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good and an Apple ID is a useful thing even at the high price of free.
Mountain Lion is about the most inexpensive OS on the planet, not counting Ubuntu but it is more fringe.

I will be online tomorrow XXXXX, XXXXXe time as today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The IT Department wouldn't like me doing any of this stuff...but I don't care. They can't accommodate my needs and have made very little effort to try. I'm tired of waiting for help! So I'll do what I have to do at this point.

I'll talk to you tomorrow!

Thank you!

Kim

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Like many IT dept too busy keeping job security than taking care of problems. My wife has to deal with one in her school district. Thus I am tech support for her and covertly the school.

Keep me posted, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel!

I've been attempting to download Mountain Lion and it won't download. It continuously says the same thing: This copy of the Install OS X Mountain Lion.app application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading.

So I delete it and retry downloading it. Same thing happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I still haven't been able to get my Mail app to successfully work with the Exchange server (Outlook 2007). I've been attempting to download Mountain Lion (Daniel's suggestion) and have failed at that, too! I did send an emailed request for support for that to Apple since I paid for the app. But maybe someone else has a trick up their sleeve without Mountain Lion? (I'm on 10.7.5) I really need to get rid of Crossover and Outlook before I go completely mad...! Help!
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok XXXXX, XXXXX here. How good or fast is your internet connection? Are there limits to what you can download where you are?

You mentioned an IT department that was not helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's good to have you back, Dan!

Our internet is high speed - totally great connection! My Mac flies on the internet. I did also hear from the iTunes store and they can't resolve my not being able to download Mtn. Lion. I have no idea why I'm having such back luck!

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
If you can download it at another location, such as home, (you can save the file instead of running it, as a dmg that can be put on an external drive. Then use that to upgrade the Mac at work.
That explains how better than I can type it.
That way you are not dependent on the ITs.

Try that and let me know. You can always reply to a question or use the link in my signature to reach me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll try that! I'll see if I can get that done tonight. Can I use my own Apple ID at home? I don't want to mess up the good thing I have going on there. I don't have Mtn. Lion installed at home, either, so if I download it there, can I install it on the two different machines (with two different Apple IDs)?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Your Apple ID is your Apple ID no matter where or on what device you use it on. It has no bearing where it is used.
I use my Apple ID on my iPad, iMac, iPhone at home and away.
In fact I have two IDs, it gets confusing sometimes which has what associated with which.
Stick with one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK - thanks! I'll download it off my ID at home and bring it here on my passport drive. I'll check in tomorrow after I get it installed and try connecting again.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, please keep me posted Kim.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dan - I clicked on your other link but it wants me to pay again after I commented (didn't have another question - just wanted to give you an update). Did you get the message? Looks like my problem cannot be resolved at this time due to the fact that we're using Exchange 2003 that is not supported by my computer. I'm now using a remote desktop - which turns out OK because it has another feature on it that I have to use someone else's computer for.

Thank you for your time and help!

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Until your IT dept gets up to the 21st century your workaround is probably the best you can do.
IT dept are notorious for that, especially government ITs.
Sorry I did not have something that would get around this problem, I am good but I have yet to walk on water.
Thanks for the update.