David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

bought ipad3 end of december 2012. ipad will not switch on.

Customer Question

bought ipad3 end of december 2012. ipad will not switch on. apple sign appears then asks for pass code as soon as i touch screen it switches off
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is David, and I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Can you try resetting it instead of touching anything on the screen first.

Press and hold the Home button, and the Sleep/Wake button together for at least 30 seconds. Does the iPad restart?

Do you also have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yeah tried this all it seems to do is make screen freeze

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

is it possible to power it off by holding the Sleep/Wake button down?

Do you see a red slider to power it off?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no the only screen i can get to stay on is the apple sign in the middle of the screen. now its gone bright blue

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Connect it by USB to your computer and open iTunes.

Then press and hold the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons together until the screen flickers off. Then release the Sleep/Wake button, but continue to hold the Home button. Hold it for a few minutes, until iTunes says it detects an iPad in "Recovery Mode', then release. Then continue with iTunes and restore the iPad.

let me know if it gives any trouble.

best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

tried this twice and it was unable to recover

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Did you see it say "Recovery Mode"? Did it give a specific error message when you tried restore, or could you not try restore?

Do you have another computer you can try it on?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just tried it again.this is list of messages on itunes.

extracting software
verifying ipad restore

waiting for ipad

restoring ipad software

the ipad "ipad" could not be restored an unknown error occurred (14)

when this had finished ipad showed a usb connector to itunes symbol

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

It is more likely to be an issue on your computer, either software or hardware. We can go ahead and try removing and reinstalling iTunes etc. but it would be better to try another computer at this point to speed things up. Is there another computer you can try Recovery mode with?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no got no other computer here with me. this fault seemed to occur before ipad was plugged into computer

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the iPad software is not working properly, but Recovery Mode should work on it regardless of the software on it. Pus it doesn't seem to have an obvious hardware fault.

What version of Windows are you using? Also check what version of iTunes, it should say in About in the Help menu.

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

using windows 7 and checked itunes for updates which says i have latest version

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Error 14 is usually caused by a USB problem.

There is more on it here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694#error14

Please shut down the computer, and disconnect any USB devices that you can, leave just keyboard and mouse.

Start up, connect using "Recovery Mode" steps again, and try the restore again.

If it fails please take a look at the article for the other steps, and please get back to me for more help.

Sincerely,
David.