MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

Hiya, My Imac G5, Intel core 2 duo, OS X 10.5.8, 2.5 gig RAM,

Hiya,
My Imac G5, Intel core 2 duo, OS X 10.5.8, 2.5 gig RAM, gets very slow from time to time, particularly when on the WWW. It seems slow to respond to even simple point and click commands, as if it had to stop and look up the meaning of each mouse click.
A longtime Windows user, I would, if using a PC, run a memory clean-and-boost app, and/or defrag the drive, delete temp files, etc. but I don't know what to do on a Mac.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
Doug
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 1 year ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello Doug-

MacTechTrainer :

I have several options for you to assist you here

MacTechTrainer :

first of all, are you experiencing the slow issues just when searching online through the web or eve when accessing applications on your Mac?

Customer:

I think both. I just clicked on an app to test and it took longer than I think it should for the app to open

MacTechTrainer :

Good to know. So what I recommend first, is you use Disk Utility, the built in Mac OS X volume and hard drive repair software

MacTechTrainer :

Disk Utility almost works like Windows Disk Defragmenter, with respect that it will repair damaged folders and file permissions

MacTechTrainer :

which can affect the normal function of applications

MacTechTrainer :

on your Mac

MacTechTrainer :

There are two ways to use Disk Utility

MacTechTrainer :

one is right from within your Mac OS X environment which can be accessed by opening a new Finder window,

MacTechTrainer :

clicking on the Applications folder in the left sidebar of Finder

MacTechTrainer :

then within Applications folder, locate and open the folder entitled Utilities

MacTechTrainer :

within the Utilities folder you will see Disk Utility amongst the other built-in software utilities listed in that folder

MacTechTrainer :

Full Size Image

MacTechTrainer :

That is the actual icon you will be looking for within Utilities for Disk Utility

MacTechTrainer :

When you double click that icon Doug, you should see this window appear:

MacTechTrainer :

Full Size Image

MacTechTrainer :

Sorry I forgot to add this view first, which shows you the Utilities folder. Here is what Disk Utility window will look like:

MacTechTrainer :

Full Size Image

Customer:

I use list view, so you don't have to include pix, thanks.

MacTechTrainer :

that is the window you will need to get familiar with

MacTechTrainer :

no worries- and thanks for the heads up

MacTechTrainer :

Now before I go on with this way to access Disk Utility-

Customer:

BTW, I've seen that and it is greek to me

MacTechTrainer :

That is ok sir, you are in good hands here :)

MacTechTrainer :

I am also a Mac Tutor by trade, so I have patience as you seek understanding

MacTechTrainer :

I will be as concise as I can for you

MacTechTrainer :

so the other process for accessing Disk Utility, is to use your Mac OS X installation disk

MacTechTrainer :

in this case with you currently running Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard on your iMac

MacTechTrainer :

the installation disk must be the same version series (10.5 Leopard) in order to reach Disk Utility with the install disc

MacTechTrainer :

simply put Doug, both ways to access Disk Utility to improve the performance of your Mac OS X volume (the environment you have a user account set up) and the hard drive

MacTechTrainer :

with one exception

Customer:

Let's go ahead and assume I cannot lay hands on that disc right now .....

MacTechTrainer :

If you need to perform a Repair Disk which is the entire hard drive, that needs to be repaired and not just the Mac OS X volume, you can only do that by using the installation disk

MacTechTrainer :

because the installation disk will serve as a temporary drive to use Disk Utility to repair your hard drive

MacTechTrainer :

currently with the slow performance you are experiencing should be corrected from using the Disk Utility from within your Mac OS X environment

MacTechTrainer :

What you mainly want to do (and you can try now) is use the Disk Utility you do have access to now and open it

MacTechTrainer :

and then follow these steps:

MacTechTrainer :

• From within the Disk Utility window, click on the Macintosh HD volume (or on the name you have changed
this volume to.) located in the left side view of the open application
• Select "Repair Disk Permissions" button

*Let Disk Utility run this repair permissions until completion

Once Disk Utility is complete and there are no errors in red in the completion summary (if there are errors listed in red, re-run DU to see if those error will clear- if they don't reply back to this post right away and let me know what the exact error message is), quit Disk Utility

MacTechTrainer :

then test your web browser and surf the web or open an application or two and test to see if the speed has improved

MacTechTrainer :

Now there is another way to help speed up the performance on your iMac

MacTechTrainer :

and that would be to use Disk Utility to Free Space

MacTechTrainer :

To access that function Doug, is very simple to do and poses no risk to your Mac OS X volume or your hard drive

MacTechTrainer :

what the Erase free space function does, is to free up unused, or previously used space that has now just sitting dormant,

MacTechTrainer :

and clearing that space out on the hard drive, which will not only allow your Mac OS X environment operate better,

MacTechTrainer :

it will also improve your hard drive's performance and help you re-capture some precious space

MacTechTrainer :

To access the Erase Free Space button

MacTechTrainer :

all you need to do from within Disk Utility, is to click on the Erase tab located on the right side view in the Disk Utility window

MacTechTrainer :

and you will see the Erase Free Space button

MacTechTrainer :

Here you can select the Zero Out Data

MacTechTrainer :

format, which will allow you to be able to erase that free space and reap the benefits I mentioned above

MacTechTrainer :

it does take some time to do however, depending on the size of your hard drive, but works well all the same

MacTechTrainer :

Do I still have you with me so far?

MacTechTrainer :

let me know if you have any questions about the content I have provided to you here.

MacTechTrainer :

I just want to make sure you have the best alternatives available to keep your iMac, optimized and running well

Customer:

I have several notes beginning with "permissions differ" and others beginning "group differs" in the notes section, but Repair Permissions has finished and there are no red notations. What should I do now?

MacTechTrainer :

I usually run Disk Utility twice or more

MacTechTrainer :

just to make sure it does a thorough job cleaning up and repairing damaged files

Customer:

OK, will do

MacTechTrainer :

Now typically, after you perform this process Doug, you don't have to reboot as you would with PCs, but every now and then, even with a Mac is at times helpful post Disk Utility

MacTechTrainer :

processes.

Customer:

Alright, I will. Shall I run the 'Erase Free Space' before rebooting?

MacTechTrainer :

Do that only after you return and make sure your system has improved in its normal functionality

MacTechTrainer :

only because that process takes a lot of time

Customer:

Got it. I'll do all that in a few. Just now, I must go elsewhere. I'll check in with results in a couple hrs. OK?

MacTechTrainer :

over 60 minutes or longer

MacTechTrainer :

please do

MacTechTrainer :

just make sure you bookmark this page

MacTechTrainer :

in your current web browser, so you can return back to this session,

Customer:

Done Later

MacTechTrainer :

Ok Doug,all the best!

MacTechTrainer :

Keep me posted

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years