David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

My son changed his passcode on his ipad mini 4 days ago. Promptly

My son changed his passcode on his ipad mini 4 days ago. Promptly forgot it within 10 minutes and tried so many codes, he disabled the ipad. How do I unlock this? Do I need to go to the Apple Store?
Shelby Smith
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

You don't need to go to the Apple store to fix this, it can be done through iTunes on your computer.

Do you have the USB cable, and the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will check

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That's great. Next power off the iPad. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds.

After a few seconds a red slider appears, swipe it and the iPad should power off.

Connect the cable to the end of the iPad, but don't connect the other end to the computer yet.

Let me know when the iPad is off and ready.

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

off and ready

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Great, next open iTunes on the computer.

When iTunes is open you are ready to connect the iPad.

Press and hold the Home button on the iPad, keep it held and plug the cable to the computer.

Don't release the Home button once the iPad is connected. Keep holding it until a notice appears in iTunes on your computer screen that says it is in 'Recovery Mode', which can take a minute or two as the iPad powers on.

When you see iTunes show that message you can let go the Home button. Continue with iTunes on the computer, and Restore the iPad.

When the Restore and the following sync are complete, the iPad will be back to normal without passcode restriction.

Let me know if you have any problem.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How long will the restore ipad take?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

If it doesn't have to download anything, no more than five minutes. If it is taking longer it is because it is downloading an updated version of the iOS software on the iPad.

It sounds like it is updating, which can take an hour or sometimes more, depending on how fast the Internet connection speed is.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, the restore stopped and the same ipad disabled, connect to itunes is displayed again. Should I try again?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

yes please do. make certain that iTunes says 'Recovery Mode' has been detected. It shouldn't take as long this time if the software was downloaded properly the last time.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My itunes says it is downloading ipad software and could take 3 hours. should I retry this restore after that is finished? because, it stopped the restore again and went back to disabled..

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

yes, please wait until the software is finished downloading, and it should remove the corrupt version and replace it with the new download.

This should resolve it, let me know if not.

Kind regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified