Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Hi - recently I bought a new MacBook Air (OS 10.8.2) and bought

Hi - recently I bought a new MacBook Air (OS 10.8.2) and bought with it MS Office for Mac 2011. After a couple of days Outlook refused to open. The window appears for a split second and disappears each time. It is possible that this was as a result of installing an anti-virus program (Internet Security Barrier X6 from Intego), also recommended by Apple and bought at the same time as the computer.
Can you help me to get my Outlook working? Do I need to uninstall the anti-virus software? I have run a permissions verification and am in the middle of a disk verification. Any help gratefully received!
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Apple recommended the anti virus software? OS X has built-in anti virus software and needs no third party stuff, it causes more harm than any good.
Opinions vary.
FYI, I have used Macs since 1989 and other than trying Norton once (it erased my hard drive) I have not used any anti software since.
I have owned more than 100 Macs over the years and presently own 18, none have that garbage on it.
That is the first thing I suggest is totally removing that anti software from your Mac.

Instead of verifying do repairs, that will save time because the verification will not always turn anything up and permissions usually have issues.

Once the anti is gone reinstall Office Outlook, that should get it working, if not then uninstall Office and reinstall the whole thing.

Please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! I have now uninstalled the antivirus thing and all its hangons. I can not say they actually recommended it; I asked for it (I ordered by telephone) and the salesperson said that over the years the official line had moved from saying not necessary to saying that such programs are not pushed but that if a customer asks they can recommend or mention a specific program.

Outlook still does not open. Do you think that if I uninstall MS Office for Mac and then reinstall it (with a product key) it will let me do so?

Thanks Dan

That is my suggestion, I would uninstall it first though. Microsoft like to put files where they do not belong.
OS X is a closed operating system, software is supposed to be stand alone (something Windows has yet to learn) so that one application does not affect any other application.
Microsoft like to put things into the system that can cause problems (not always) like yours especially when coupled with anti software. They start fighting so to speak and then things stop working.

I also recommend repairing permissions as preventative maintenance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, you may have answered me again but I can not see it on my screen. Can you tell me how I uninstall MS Office? Thanks - Michael

How to completely remove Office for Mac 2011

I do not think I included that, sorry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks - think I have done that, now I will try to reinstall MS Office

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dan, looks like it worked - many thanks indeed. The hours I have wasted trying to talk to Apple tech help! I will give you your good rating now - is that sufficient to make sure you get paid? Do let me know if not. Maybe we will be in touch again some time, see you and many thanks again - Michael