Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

how do you get the audio from a MacBook Pro to the tv, series

how do you get the audio from a MacBook Pro to the tv, series 838. am using a HDMI cable and adapter from the pc for the video, which works well.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Dan.

My home is close to Lake Ontario in New York State in the Eastern time zone, I am generally online between 10 AM and 11 PM Eastern standard Time.

The HDMI cable does not carry audio from the MBP, it requires an audio cable, usually with a male jack 1/8 inch (8mm) on both ends or an 1/8th to RCA to fit the inputs.

Is the jack plugged in completely? Please bear with me.

The input selected on the TV settings menu?

The correct sound out settings in System Preferences on the MBP?

The series 838 does not match any MBP model, if you look in the Apple menu in 'About this Mac'.

graphic

That has info about your Mac that I can use.

This is posted as an answer but it may not be the final answer.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan, I just got your answer by calling the 888 #. I believe i asked this question with concerns about getting the sound to come over the Mitsubishi Home-Cinema tv. i have tried the earphone jack in the Mac and it works. The 3.5mm to RCA audio cable does not do anything with the tv, in the DVI/PC audio connection. I don't want to do. Thanks for your help so far.

Ed

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure of what inputs are on the TV but usually the video and audio are paired.
I do not have enough info to really answer your question. You mention a series 838, I do not know what that refers to.
Also I do not know what version of OS X you have.
Chances are the TV does not recognize the audio when the HDMI input is used as audio is expected on the HDMI which the Mac does not supply over the HDMI.
Does that make any sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The tv is a Mitsubishi Home-Cinema tv and the imputs are on the back of the tv in a series of plugs. The plugs I am trying to use are labeled - DVI/PC Audio R - input - L and are red and white. The version of OS X is 10.7.5. The HDMI out of the Mac does not seem to cary the audio at all.

Thanks,

Ed

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Apple computers that do send downed over the HDMI (display port) are rare. Those made before 2010 and some in 2010 will never play sound over HDMI.
After that year then it is a different story.
Have the TV connected and on with it showing the desktop.
Now open System Preferences/Sound. There should be in Outputs a TV selection.
If that fails then let me know.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan,

My Mac as made in the early 2011 time frame. I went to the preferences/sound and could not find a tv listing under the outputs. So I hooked up the HDMI cable as you suggested. Low and behold when I went back to the preferences/sound then output the tv was listed. I selected it and it told me there was no column control with it. The column control on the tv works fine with it. It does work fine with a DVD from the pc to the tv with just the HDMI cable ( it is plugged in to the thunderbolt plug with the adaptor ). Thank you very much. Sorry it took so long for us to get on the same page with the information you needed. Again, Thank You very much.

Ed