David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

my iMac stuck on the apple grey logo with spinning wheel, tried

my iMac stuck on the apple grey logo with spinning wheel, tried safe mode and launch utility by pressing shift or option, nothing happened, and my instalation cd is stuck in the computer can not get out since i can not get the computer to boot obviously
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Please try holding Option, for Startup Manager.

Do you see the install disc and Macintosh HD?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i tried, nothing happens still the try logo and spinning wheelCry

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Could be a connection problem with the keyboard, is it a USB, or wireless?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

wireless

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Then that may be the problem, most likely. Do you have any USB keyboard at all you can use for this?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nothing happened

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Next reset the SMC, which is easy to do. Shut down the iMac, and disconnect all cables, and plug it out.

Leave it unplugged for 60 seconds and plug it back in.

Connect only the USB keyboard.

Press the power button, and quickly press and hold Command + Option + P + R

Keep those held until you hear a second startup chime. If it doesn't make a second chime, shut it down and try holding those keys after pressing power again.

Let me know if you can hear two startup chimes.

Regards,
David.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well, i tried it before it had two chime this morning, i tried to do it now, can not hear the second chime

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Apologies for the delay, I was taking care of something here that couldn't wait.

What model iMac is it? What type keyboard?

Is it connected directly to the iMac?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have just changed a keyboard with cord, it is hp not mac, so can you give me the equivalent code for me to try again?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

First try the Shift key at startup, for Safe Mode.

This will take a bit longer so give it some time.

When you get to the login window it should say Safe Mode in red letters.

Please get back to me if it fails.

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how long do i need to hold the shift key at the start

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Hold it until the spinning gear appears.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

same old grey and spinning gear nothing appear to be any different

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Try holding C until the spinning gear appears. Then wait about 5 minutes for the disc to load.

If it fails, try pressing the button directly to the left of the space bar for Command, and try get two startup chimes again with Command Alt P R keys.

Let me know if you get either

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have entered the safe mode what do i do next

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That's great, that means the keyboard connects.

Now shut down again.

Next time startup normally as Safe Boot may have repaired the original problem already.

Get back to me if not.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it does go back the the home screen but it is very slow and go from grey apple logo spinning gear to scary blue screen before get to the home screen, there is definitely something not right

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

There may be startup items that are delaying startup, but if the computer is functioning OK then there is no need to remove startup items.

If you do want your Mac starting faster you can remove startup items, just know that the functionality of the startup item will be gone.

Open the  menu in the top left, and click System Preferences. Click Users & Groups, or it might be called Accounts on some versions. Then go to 'Login Items'.

What is listed there?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it was fast yesterday with no problem though, the whole thing only happened after i try to transfer some media file from external hard drive to my iTunes library this morning.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

It will be slower if there is something wrong with the operating system, and slower to start up.

First check what is in Login Items, in System Preferences.

Then open /Applications/Utilities/ and launch Disk Utility.

Select Macintosh HD on the left, and click Repair Permissions.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

a bit better now thank you very much, what else can i do to get it back to normal?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That's great. The best things to do to keep your Mac performing well are to every once in a while repair permissions with Disk Utility, and most important is to check for software updates, in the  menu Software Update.

It is also best practice to keep a backup of valuable data, because you never know when something could go wrong.

Please feel free to ask me any follow up questions you have, even after you rate an answer.

Sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified