RichieMe
RichieMe, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years on windows AND Mac

I am in Tanzania trying to install an Airtel internet modem.

Customer Question

I am in Tanzania trying to install an Airtel internet modem. I get blocked when I hit "install" by a request for password XXXXX at least it looks like that, 2 long rectangles with 2 smaller ones, side by side. No info. in any and will not allow any into. to be added.
Category: Mac
Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

By default, the username is XXXXX XXXXX the password XXXXX XXXXX

Does this get accepted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the response, but you haven't helped me with my problem. and am on my friend's computer. What do I do about my situation? I have no CD. I am volunteering at an orphanage in Africa and need to

connect via e-mail to USA. HELP!!!

OHHHHHHH, now I get it! Sorry I am jet lagged and at high altitude and stressed to the max. I canot enter anything. When I try to enter in the lower right box, everything shakes.

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
No problem Carolyn, and understandable

So you cannot enter anything into these boxes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is correct.

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
ok, hold the reset button in on the back of the modem while it is on, for 10 seconds, than release

Than try to access it

Does it now allow you to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think the problem is with the computer itself. The modem has no reset button. My access to you is limited, so please try to give me as many options as possible.

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
which mac do you have (OSX version)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MacBook OSX

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, but is the OSX Snow Lepoard, Mountain Lion? Which version is it please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have no idea. Does this help? Can you stay with me here. I am on line now on my friend's computer, but who knows how long the connection will last.

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MB71.0039.B0B

SMC Version (system): 1.60f5

Serial Number (system): IQ0366PRF5W

Hardware UUID: 9A53DB1E-C9BF-575D-8C34-9DA3037B1DA8

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
ok, it can be the Mac is incompatable with the setup software

Can you setup the Airtel using your friends computer Carolyn?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Friend is on an older model MAC and the Airtel works fine. I bought my computer last Feb. is that helps.

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
ok, the issue is incompatability with the new mac

Can you set it up on the older Mac than use it normally on your computer?

You just need to set it up, once done, you can use it on another computer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The problem is that I cannot get beyond that window that opens with the lock on the Mac HD icon.

My friend has her own Airtel which has unlimited time for 4 wks. The issue is keeping the computer charged so we both can use it. I feel bad monopolizing her time. Altitude is hard on these Macs. I think if I can just figure out why I cannot get beyond that lock I could install it.

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
ok, but this was what I was checking

does your friends computer, with YOUR Airtel, have the same problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will have to sign off and try it....hope you're still theer when I get back...

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
I will be Carolyn

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My AirTel works in my friend's computer.

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
ok, the issue is incompatability on your computer with this device.

But now that you set it up on their computer, if you connect it to yours it should just work

Can you confirm this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richie, did I miss an e-mail after the one where I told you that my Airtel worked in my friend's computer?

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
Yes you did sorry

I will repeat it for you

Can you confirm this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about that pop up that eill not allow me to enter my Apple ID and password. I still believe that is the problem.
Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
No, the Airtel will not ask you for your Apple ID...

This is not coming from the Airtel Carolyn.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So what are those empty boxes and lock on the Hd all about. I cannot get past it....

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
I do not know as I cannot see it directly.

It looks like you do not have an admin account on the Mac?

But this is not related to the Airtel

Can you make a new user account on the Mac and install it there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do i do that

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
Which OSX is it? Snow Leopard?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don;t know. MAC OSX Version 10.7.2

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,

Can you do the following

Choose Apple→System Preferences (or click the System Preferences icon in the Dock), click the Users & Groups icon, and then make sure that the Password XXX is selected.

The first user created (usually at the same time you installed OS X) always has administrator permissions.

Click the + button beneath the list of users.

Choose Standard from the New Account menu at the top of the sheet.

In the Name text box, type the full name of a user you want to add.

Press the Tab key to move to the next field.

Mac OS X Lion suggests an abbreviated version of the name in the Account Name field.

The name of each user’s folder (in the Users folder) is taken from the short name that you enter when you create a user.

Tab to the Password XXXXX, and enter an initial password XXX this user.

The small, square button with the key to the right of the Password XXXXX, when clicked, displays the Password XXXXXXXXX.

Press the Tab key to move your cursor to the Verify text field.

In the Verify text box, type the password XXXXX to verify it.

(Optional) To help remember a password, type something in the Password XXXX text box to jog the user’s memory.

Click the Create Account button to create the account.

restart the Mac and use this new account, than try to install the Airtime and let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I click on the + sign nothing happens.

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
Do you see your account listed there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX. X think it is an authentication problem. When I attempt to do so that colored wheel keeps spinning.

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
it is,

Can we reinstall the Operating System?

Let me know and I tell you how
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Of course!

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

Please do the following

Restart and when you hear the chime, hold down the option key. After a bit you will be presented with some choices on where to boot from "recovery partition, Macintosh HD"

Chose recovery partition and perform a recovery. It will delete your files, so backup any data you need first, off the computer

Let me know how it goes please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well that sounds do-able if I had any way to back up my files. If you could see where I am you would understand. Toilet paper here is a luxury!

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
Go to

www.dropbox.com

You can make a online account and backup your files there.

Or you would need a USB Memory Stick. Do you have one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No memory stick and no way to get one. Would love to go to drop box but I have NO INTERNET!

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a DVD? You can burn the files to a DVD?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No DVD! I"m going to give up!

Expert:  RichieMe replied 1 year ago.
Cd Drive than?